2001 lincoln town car..starting problems

70

Asked by Jul 09, 2013 at 10:09 PM about the 2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature

2001 lincoln town car...sometimes it starts fine...then if i turn it off,if i try starting it
again,it wont start..or if it start,it idles rough,and turns off..if i try to start again..it might
start fine..or it may not...when it starts fine,i hear the fuel pump..if i dont hear the fuel
pump..it wont start.....could it be the chip in the key or fuel pump???,i changed the fuel
pump relay...no luck

More than likely your fuel pump is going out.we have had a run on these lately.very common for this model.hope this helps.

70

hi,,thanks for the reply!!!..one question,but when it starts fine,it runs fine too...no hesitation or starving for fuel...so its the fuel pump??

When the fuel pump starts heating up it will shut down.would replace fuel filter also.cant gaurantee this is the problem but it is common.if you have replaced pump relay.would go with pump

70

when it starts fine,i could run for about 45 min with no problem...then if i turn off and try again..it hesitates to start..so more than likely...the fuel pump??

70

its just that money is tight at the moment...and have read many other reviews at other sites..and ppl post that they have replaced fuel pump,,and still have the same problem

Might be better to have it checked before you replace it then.yea times are tough rite now.keep us informed.good luck

70

hello...was indeed the fuel pump...car is running fine...thanks

My 2001 lincoln town car is doing the samething. Since you replaced the fuel pump has the problem stopped?

70

Hello..yes,was indeed the fuel pump..i replaced it myself..car still running great..has 180,000 and still strong...what is urs doing Skyler?

775

Buy a high power pump, a real one.thats a big motor

One morning I started my 2001 lincoln town car to go to the Post Office. I shut it off to go into the Post Office for stamps, waiting about 10 minutes. Upon returning I started the lincoln and immediately put it into drive and arooling sound came from the rear of the car followed by a jarring bump as if another car behind me had just bumped me. This has happened twice now. However now when I start the car I put the shifter into neutral for about 15 seconds and then to drive away without it ever happening again. My car guide book has a similar warning when refueling the car. Before starting, switch the key on and off several times, so that fuel can be injected into the engine. Whether these two events are similar, I don't know. Even my dealership has never heard of this problem before in their experience. (Skitch Long)

70

Mine was the fuel pump..easy to replace,did it my self..still working fine...