My 2001 Lincoln towncar was making a ticking noise them all of a sudden just died. Now it won't start anymore. What could be wrong?

Asked by Aug 27, 2015 at 02:21 PM about the 2001 Lincoln Town Car Executive

98,565

Loss of oil pressure, possible seized engine.

50,835

Miles on this engine? Has it been well maintained?

21,225

Well, if they averaged 15,000 miles per year, it would easily be over 200,000 miles, which is the approximate life expectancy for a car like this, why are you surprised? And, even if you did all the maintenance required, American cars just don't age that gracefully, sorry. Probably did lose oil pressure or snapped the timing chain. It's time for a new car.

Please Mark. I had a 1990 Town Car that went 190,000 miles with no drive train problems NONE, it has the 302 -5.0L and who said anything about being surprised? The 5.0 is one of -if not the best engines ever . Including any Japanese engine ever, and that includes my Toyota. As much as I like it. But I take you to task on what is the better engine... a Subaru anything or a Ford 5.0

98,565

Absolutely 5.0 Ford over a Subaru any day.

50,835

The 2001 Towncar is the same Panther platform as the Crown Victoria and the Mercury Marquis. The 4.6L engine is the same one that is in the NYC Taxi Cabs (Crown Victorias). These are know for their ruggedness and reliability. Many of these go well beyond 300,000 miles. It's all about maintenance. It is hard to say what went wrong, but the very last thing I would suspect would be the timing chain itself. Timing chain tensioners maybe, lack of maintenance could have clogged the oil pump pickup screen and starved the top end of the engine for oil or something entirely different. And Mark, why must you post these curt answers? The original poster doesn't say anything about being surprised, the original poster just asked a question. Save the lectures and just answer the damned questions.

21,225

Well, that's why there's different opinions on this, here's a website from a reliable source, read these comments. I didn't intend to be so direct in my earlier reply or offend anyone. http://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2012/consumer-reviews/

21,225

Notice that they specifically mentioned Subaru in this article, see link plus picture I highlighted. I doubt this is an accident. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/03/cars-high-mileage/

21,225

Also, for your perusal, Subaru had two cars on this list, http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/auto-news/10-long- lasting-cars-that-will-go-the-distance-and-then-some.html/? a=viewall

50,835

Mark, this question is about Lincoln not about Brand X. Continuing to bash every car that is not Brand X is getting very tiresome.

21,225

Bob, I didn't raise the question about Subaru in this thread, only responding to a previous post. By the way, speaking of tone, I believe you wrote this to me earlier, "Save the lectures and just answer the damned questions." I don't appreciate your attitude. And, I was speaking generally about Asian cars, there's lots of them out there besides Subaru. Why do you think that Japanese cars, particularly Lexus and others have been rocking the automotive world for the last 50 years. It's made domestic automakers up their game. Yes, this forum is about sharing information and people need to hear other points of view. If you want to keep to the insular world of American cars from Detroit, that's your decision. Notice that the last couple posts I sent have links to vary kinds of vehicles. I didn't create these lists, they're public information.

21,225

By the way, the "ticking noise" in the engine should have been a red flag warning that something was wrong. How long was that going on? It's not a good idea to ignore these signals and taking your car in early can avoid larger more expensive repairs, if caught early. Besides, being stranded out on the road is not desirable. How many miles were on your car?

21,225

This earlier message from three months ago might help you, similar car , earlier year, but, the symptoms are close to yours, http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t48192_ds659025

50,835

Mark, As I said earlier "Save the lectures and just answer the damned questions", I really don't give a damn if you like my attitude or not. Apologies to the original poster, I had to get it out of my system. I would tell Mark what I really thought, but that would violate the terms of service here.