2000 Lincoln Town Car, Cartier

10

Asked by Mar 23, 2016 at 08:23 AM about the 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier

Replaced air bags and solenoids, height sensor, Relay in battery box. Once every 2-3 days when I turn on the car the compressor starts as normal to tweak the ride but instead the rear end lowers to the point I can't drive the car. I shut it off and the car's compressor comes on again and it rises to the proper height. Will be OK for a few days and it will occur again. Any suggestions? Pump seems fine since it pumpss.

4,865

The Air Ride suspension in these cars is one of the most amazing features they offer. Range Rover, Bentley, Mercedes S Class, and a lot of other really high end Autos use this in their cars. Unfortunately, it is also one of the most expensive and intricate systems to fix. It sounds like you might have a compressor issue. If the temperature outside of it fluctuates due to driving conditions or even weather conditions it an cause the expansion of any leaks which would cause the relay and ECM to anticipate an issue (which is why it only happens intermittently). The other option is that the wiring to the unit, all the way back to the relay may be corroded, or not grounded. I would check that yourself as electrical issues are super expensive at $90-$100/hr shop labor. Best of luck!

10

Thank you for your response to my air suspension problem. I'm still confused on what makes my TC "vent" occasionally only when I start the car up. After it goes way down does it level off perfectly and stays correct for the entire ride. Wouldn't it be something other than the compressor since it pumps. What is giving the compressor the wrong signal?