My 1999 lincoln town car has air suspension problems. In the morning, the back of the car is sitting low. When I start it, the back rises. It seems to he getting worse. Even the front of the car is taking bumps badly now. It has 123,000 on it. My mechanic didn't even mention checking the height sensor? He did mention checking the hoses for leaks. Should I do this first? Plus, if I switch over to coils, how does that impact the ride. Help, low finances.

200

Asked by Jan 02, 2016 at 09:47 PM about the 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature

148,955

Probably the air-ride bladders have worn out and begun to leak. That is what happened to my Town Car. Converting to coil springs will affect the ride minimally and you can do away with the compressor height sensor, and all that which will be next thing to fail. The best place is http://www.suncoreindustries.com/lincoln-town-car-suspension.php ---and the kit is about $300 and installation maybe another $300. But if you have tools and a floor jack it's not a difficult DIY

148,955

Mine got so bad the compressor had to run constantly, and it is not designed to do that. Only pump air when the load is heavy, and the height sensor sends a signal to release air when load is light. The compressor finally burned up from that, and you say it's getting worse, and that leads me away from height sensor gone out. When the rear end drops overnight, it's not as simple as the air-lines

6,255

FordNut is right, it's easy to change and doesn't affect the ride a whole lot. If you can find springs for the 99-02 crown vic, grand marquis either used or from a distributor they aren't very expensive. The air ride will have to be turned off by its shutoff switch and the light will remain on but if you save the old air solenoids and keepers you can return to air ride when funds are available in the future.