car will only go 35 MPH have not had any luck finding the problem, does anyone have any ideas

Asked by May 25, 2011 at 01:38 PM about the 1999 Lincoln Town Car Executive

I have also leared that when test driving it if you shove the pedel right down it will ramp up good but comes right back down no matter what you do with the pedel.  fuel pumps working good, air filter is good.

how many rpms will the engine get up to? might have plugged catalytic converters.

I done some more work with it today and found out that it only happens with it in gear, In park or nuet. I was able to ramp it right up to the rev limiter and hold it at any RMP. but if I put it in gear it would start to climb and then bog right down to no power again, also had the traction control come on but the rear tire did start to brake loose right before it bogs down.

Try cleaning the teeth on the back of the wheels . Sounds like the tc is engaging when it shouldn't

Ok I was wondering if it was something to do with the speed sensors. Thank you I will give that a try when I get back to the shop tomorrow. And I will let you know how it comes out.

If all else fails, you can have the tc shut off at the computer by anyone who does tuning.

I did find a defective wheel sensor and I am currently waiting foer the new one so I can install it. It looked as though something got inthe back of the hub and struck it. new one due in tomorrow. Thank you for all of your help. It sure helps to have someone to bounce ideas off of some times. Thanks again.

10

My son's 2001 lincoln town car had the same problem, it would get up to 35-40 mph then loose all throttle inputs. No check engine light and no codes.I had no idea what the problem was so took it to the ford dealership and they didn't have a clue either . They worked on it all day until one of the mechanics noticed the front tires and checked the air pressure. The front tires had 60 psi the rear tires had 35. (My son's fault ) they let the air out (all 4 tires at 35 psi) the car drove perfect. The problem is with the speed sensors because of the air pressure difference between the front and rear (tire size ) the front sensors are reading one mph and rears reading a different mph caused the computer to go into limp mode. Solution, CHECK THE AIR PRESSURE IN YOUR TIRES. It may be just that simple