Can anyone tell me why my '99 Cartier Town Car sometimes won't crank? I have replaced batteries twice and just today put a new alternator on.

25

Asked by Aug 08, 2011 at 02:15 PM about the 1999 Lincoln Town Car Cartier

I checked the voltage at the battery with engine running, and it is putting out just over 12 volts.  Is there anything else that would prevent the battery from charging at 13 or 14 volts?

1,085

well, most engines are going to start with 12v. You really shouldn't charge to 13-14. Have you checked the coil? Doesn't sound like the battery is the issue here.

25

Yesterday I made a 150 mile trip. During that time, the temperature gauge stopped working and my digital display went out 3 times ( I could get the display back on by revving the engine). I also noticed that the battery light doesn't come on at all at any time. At the end of the trip, we stopped at a store and I turned the engine off. Surprise!! It wouldn't crank. I think all these problems are related, but I don't know where to look. Could there be a problem with the ECM? And where is it located in the car? This thing is driving me crazy! I never know when it is going to start or not. I even bought a booster jumper to haul around with me just in case.

10

mine does the same thing, but i think it is the ign module harness

25

Your alternator should be charging around 14.5v. Check any fuses and fusible links related to the alternator circuit. The ECM and BCM need to recieve around 14v to operate all functions correctly while vehicle is in motion. If the charging system is not working then the battery is discharged anytime vehicle is running. Also, continued use of a weak battery will shorten its life and decrease CCA's causing slow or no starter operation.