driver window ( electric)will not come back up after it is put down.

Asked by Jun 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM about the 1998 Lincoln Town Car Executive

front windows will go down but won't come back up. I have replaced switch to move windows' replaced window regulator in driver door. Tried a different remote modul and still same results. Don't know what to try next. was wondering if anyone had any new suggestions?

263,885

Did you look at the motor itself?

26,245

Simple stuff first: Do the other windows operate normally? If no, check fuses and then the Master switch. If yes, then can you hear any activity from the motor at all? If yes, it's probably a window regulator (the cables and rigging have broken) if not, possibly a window motor. At this stage, pull the door trim panel and look for cables laying in the bottom of the door well. While a competent do-it-yourselfer can change out a regulator - it's best to have it done by an auto glass shop. If they bust your window - they can afford to replace it! Been there - broke that - twice!

150

inside the window motor housing there is a plastic gear. inside the gear there are three plastic 1/2 " diameter plugs. this is what drives the window up. there is a window motor plastic gear repair kit that can be bought at napa auto parts

80

My front passenger window was down and would not go up. Got to the 2 wires at the motor harness and applied 12V. Motor was dead. Had to take it out through the speaker hole. Can't get it out from the lock side since the window is down and it is too tight to fit through. Had to cut the cable at the top and bottom of the motor that goes to the regulator using long but narrow cutters. Then I could remove the door motor, raise the window, and wedge it in place closed. Now I have to buy a motor/regulator combination to replace assembly.

120

My 2008 crown vic windows in the back both sides; will go down but they will not come come back up. I can hear sound like it wants to come up but does not move. Someone told me that its not the regulator I should try a fuse.What do you think?

26,245

No, fuses won't let it run in either direction. It's likely the regulator(s).

100

Its the Power window relay....its gotten weak.....if window goes down and not up and you checked motor,regulator and switch and there in good working order then your window relay is going out.....also dont apply direct 12v current to the motor in the door because you will break the regulator cable plastic mount....the relay itself stops the switch and motor from over locking the window...

26,245

There is no power window relay to get "weak"

40

get some small alligator clips or pins and reverse the wires to the motor. should go opposite to what it was, up or down.

100

94 Lincoln towncar. Back windows and driver stopped going down. Passenger window works. What can I check first ?

26,245

The Master (Driver's) switch. All of the circuitry for the windows goes there first

100

I can hear the motor on all windows. It sounds like they're jammed. But what would be to check on the master switch?

100

Or watch switch is this. Where is it located? Thank you sir.

26,245

It helps when you give a full description of the failure first. Your original statement was that several windows don't work leading me to believe that a failure was central to a common component. Now, you're filling in the gaps. If you can hear the motors run then obviously there isn't a problem with the switch. The window regulators are broken. BTW - the Master switch is the switch on the Driver's door that can operate all of the windows

70

My 2014 Chevy Sonic passenger side window rolls down but won't roll back up

60

1989 lincoln town car signature series rear passenger window goes down fine but barely goes back up. seems to be kinda skipping very weak from both master and it's own switch does same thing.. anyone kno whats causing it?

20

window motor went out about a month ago replaced it with new motor and regulator. rolled the window up and down today with no problems came out of the store rolled it down and then went to roll it up when i was on my way home and it would go up. i can here a click sound from some where in the dash.... kind of weird to me for that to happen but i have changed the master switch checked the fuses and have disconnected the battery to try to reset everything and it still doesnt work.... this is a 1999 ford explorer xlt. thank you for any advice you may have

2000 saturn sl rear passanger window rolls down but not up replaced switch motor and regulator still just rolls down not up

Anyone have anything else it could be