How can I test my Air suspension height leveling sensor on my 1997 lincoln towncar? & Who online would carry the part new if i have to replace it?

Asked by Mar 25, 2013 at 02:56 AM about the 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I  love my Lincoln and the Air ride suspension system. I have replaced the air bags, selenoids, compressor /dryer. I am getting power to the heater on the dryer of the (Compressor/dryer). However I am not getting any power to the Compressor. I have removed the height leveling sensor tried to check it with an OhM meter. It seem very difficult to duplicate a reading. Any advice??  Also The Dealership wants 265.00 for the part. Doey anyone know a place that carries this part for my 1997 linc. I have not had any luck finding it online so far?

5 Answers sells Lincoln TC suspension parts, including height sensors. There are other places also but there is a really good catalog if you go there, you have to plug in "Lincoln" as they sell air ride parts for every make/model that has air suspension. Now, as for the compressor, you have no power to it? begin with the basics: fuse. Change the fuse even if it looks OK, and take your multi meter and see if there is power to the fuse, with the fuse out, put the red lead on the hot side of the fuse clip/terminal and, of course ground the black lead. Should show 12, 13 volts available. Got juice there? Take a wire and a alligator clip and clip one end to the positive battery post and touch the other end to the hot feed terminal on the compressor. It should begin to buzz, no need to ground anything as the compressor is grounded to the chassis through it's mounting bolts. If it does not run, it may be bad, but I would bench test it out of the car before buying a new one. By taking out the height/load sensor, it won't have any power to it while it's out, if that is what you did. Please come on back and let me (us) know if any of this worked, if not we can figure out what to do next

Continued...another option is converting to coil springs and forget about the air is 90% as good of a soft, Lincoln ride as the air system and will last a lifetime, yours or the car's. Here is another image is the sensor

There are a couple good sites to go to, the best being: ~~~~~~ and there is a short video:

Thank you for your replys... I will check on the path you suggested.

Go to Labor ready, take a one day job from their Astronauts file. This should provide you with enough cash to have your Lincoln dealership fix your suspension problem.