AC/Heater

75

Asked by Nov 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM about the 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature

With ac on, I have no control of temp., and when I turn right, the heater comes on max. If heater is on(at max.,no control) and I turn left, the ac comes on.

Yikes, that's really odd. Turning the car does this? I almost think this is a trick question, so weird. Try setting it on the "set and forget" at whatever temperature you are comfy with. That will turn on A/C, heat, whatever without you having to do anything and will retain that temperature. But remember 'defrost' will turn the A/C on to remove moisture, but still blow hot on windshield.

Or, when it's hot outside, turn left a lot. If cold, turn right all the time. Sorry I couldn't resist that.

75

I've heard all the jokes. LOL!That's OK. Hey, when I turn on ac, you get max, diff. fan settings though, max or lo and all in between. Get defrost, or floor also. If the heater is on, you only get max heat, and all fan speeds. This is no joke, that's why I posted this problem. Would appreciate any help.

Seriously, I am stumped. There are folks that know more than I do on this forum, hopefully somebody will come through

75

Thanks for trying/Joe

40

Did you hear a click click click for several weeks before? If so, it's the temp control motirized baffle behind the dash. The gear teeth are gone. You can remove the glove box and manually move a lever with your index finger but this is an awkward area to reach. I've gone through the summer with it turned to cold and held in place with putty. Then had to dig out putty and wait for it to switch back with a hard turn. Now I am in always heat mode until warmer weather when I turn it back. Only alternative is to have the dash removed and replace the motorized baffle gear. Sucks because the dash removal is expensive if shop does it and a mess if you don't know what you are doing and do it yourself.

75

Thanks, appreciate your input, I have had so many different answers, one is about a ground, maybe loose/not making ground, at fuse panel, and somewhere around front right wheel. I am still lost. And I am an electr. tech!! And a good one too. So, haven't had much time to do trial and errow lately. Gotta get back on it, wife wants another car now!

200

This is an old question so ibdont know if youll get it but ill put my answer anyway.. Not a trick question... Sounds like you kicked a vacuum line loose someplace... There a baffle that basically changes the direction of the air flow, as to weather it blows through your heater core "heat" or your ac validator "cold" the bad pary of this baffle is it moves back and forth in a V... This side cold--> V <-- this side hot if the baffle doesn't have the vacuum it will flop back and forth... Hence you get cold when it flops one way and heat when it flops the other