I HAVE A 1997 TOWN CAR WITH THE ELECTRONIC SPEEDOMERTER. WHEN I START THE CAR THE SPEEDOMERTER READS 120 MPH AND DOES NOT MOVE TO ZERO UNTIL I PUT THE CAR IN DRIVE.WHEN IT READS 120 MPH THE ODOMETER MOVES THINKING THE CAR IS MOVING AT THIS RATE OF SPEED.WHAT CAN I DO, THANK YOU.

Asked by Mar 19, 2012 at 04:37 PM about the 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature

10

iv heard it has a bad doid? in the alternator but i'm not sure my car did the same thing before my whole dash went out all together i would try to get that fixed fast it may have been what made my dash go out. i'm haveing my dash repaired right now and got a new alternator if it keeps doing it once i fix everything we will know if its the alternator or not and ill let you know

Thank you

18,850

Had the same problem except in a buick. And I was doing 85 at a dead stop instead of 120. Finaly pulled the instrument cluster out of the car and began a litle electronic troublshooting. Bad actuator in the cluster. About the size of of the first joint on your thumb. JOY JOY JOY. Dismay -dismay- dismay. Could not order the four dollar part. Spoke to the service manager at the dealership. His answer: Yep, that is what goes out. And Yep, the only way to fix it is to order a new cluster. A walk over to the parts department, a check for a bit over two hundred bucks, and three days later I was in good shape. Hope your problem is in the alternator.