I recently purchased a 1996 Lincoln town car, runs drives excellent, only thing I've found wrong besides replacing the normal outage of the front swaybar link, I'm trying to fix my air-conditioning

140

Asked by Aug 27, 2015 at 04:30 AM about the 1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature

So far I have; replaced the clutch set with correct
air gap, I did not evac system cause uppon putting
dye in system it shows no leaks. The problem I'm
having is even when the ac/defrost is off the
compressor engages, I'm running with it unplugged
at the moment as to not burn the new coil up, I
know this is not correct for it to stay engaged, any
help would be more then welcome

78,515

The HVAC on this vehicle will run the compressor in all modes except floor heat and vent if equipped with the vent setting, so check those two settings, if it does run in those settings then you will have to check the control head ans find out if it is sending the A/C on signal when it is in those modes, not an easy task, if you don't have a shop manual I suggest you get one, and make sure it has a good wiring diagrams and componet locator in it, these rigs have miles of wiring. I did have a customer come into my shop that his compressor would not run, found the control head was bad and he could not afford the price of a new one, so he had me put in a little push button and a relay for the A/C power, so when he wanted the A/C to run he just pushed the button, he was happy. Just my two cents worth.

140

Just curious and I'm new to digital... Are you referring to the environment control inside the car or is it somewhere else

140

Cause I mean I'll have the whole system off all together no fan heat or air... Just off, and it will still kick on...

78,515

Sounds like the control head too me. But do the testing just to make sure it's not a bad ground or cross circuiting someplace other than the control head.