Why does it make a poping noise wen the ac is off

Asked by May 27, 2013 at 09:57 AM about the 1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature

every time i turn on my car it starts to make a poping noise close to the ac compressor
and wen i turn the ac on cold the poping noise stops and if the ac is on hot it starts to pop
again

24,245

The only things I know of in that general vicinity that can make noise like that are the belt, the compressor clutch and the over-pressure pop-off valve. You can watch the compressor in operation to see if it's the clutch engaging and disengaging or if a "fog" comes up from the compressor when the noise occurs. Is the electric fan coming on when the AC is on? There's an electric fan in front of the big belt driven fan. If the system is over pressurizing and popping off, your AC performance will drop off too. Excessive clearance in the AC clutch (more than 0.030") will be a little noisy. Look at your belt tensioner to see if it's at it's limit. Serpentine belts can stretch and cause the tensioner to be noisy too.