Posi traction

Asked by Aug 13, 2017 at 10:32 AM about the 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive

I have a 96 town car and the right rear wheel
bearing froze doing 80 mph causing bolts to snap
and tire to dismount whereas the rear end hit
pavement as I slid to a stop off the side of the
road.  Mechanic saying I need the entire rear end
replaced.  Is there a different rear end I can replace
it with that will give me more torque, performance?

Rear ends don't generate torque. You can either run taller gears or shorter gears. One will give you better gas mileage and top speed, one will give you quicker jack-rabbit starts but flatten out at higher speeds. Racers use shorter gears for fast starts, but past 1/8th or 1/4 mile, those gears consume too much engine RPM, and would suck on a highway. Not too mention how abysmal your gas mileage would be. BTW do us all a favor and save the racing for the track.

Do you know if a different rear end would be better suited for performance? Or would positive traction be possible?

Determine what your track width is, you can put your VIN into an online VIN decoder and get that. Then you can hunt for a rear end/axles with that same width. You can also check with any auto salvage place for a replacement rear end, their parts interchange DB will tell you which ones are a ready fit, any full size Ford product would likely fit, but chances are they'll all have taller gears being designed for sedans. You can also keep the same rear end you have now since I doubt anything is wrong with it, and just pick up new axles and a set of gears. Most rodders go for a Ford 9" rear end, but I don't think you'll find anything ready made for a Lincoln's track width.