Trunk on 1995 Town Car Won't Latch

Asked by Jul 14, 2012 at 01:05 AM about the 1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature

My friend asked me for help with his 1995 Town Car. The trunk lid will not latch. It does not seem to be a problem
with the pull down motor. The motor whirs audibly when the activator lever is pressed, but the lever that captures
the u-shaped latch bracket on the trunk base doesn't hold it. Is it possible to replace the whole unit with a non
electric one? An online parts dealer has one listed for this year range at an attractive price, but there is no picture.

195

I wouldn't think twice about buying the factory electronic unit. Check out some local junk yards in your area. These cars commonly appear there due to other major mechanical problems that were common to that car. You should be able to find one locally for a good price. As for why your current unit no longer works. That u shaped lever does wear out over time. Rust gets the best of the springs that make it work correctly.

130

The solenoid that unlocks the trunk with the remove is retained by two screws gets out of adjustment on my 1996 Lincoln Town Car. I just removed the solenoid and have to use the key to unlock the trunk. The trunk always latches with the solenoid removed. It is not big deal to use a key to unlock the trunk.

130

The word remove is wrong, should be remote. Tex