Why does my car die while driving only intermittendently

Asked by May 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM about the 1995 Lincoln Town Car Cartier

My 1995 Lincoln TC Cartier has 173,000 miles and runs perfect except intermittendently  it dies on me while driving.  Im usually going 20-30mph and it just dies.  After waiting about 1-2 minutes it starts again.  The engine always turns over but it takes a bit to get started.  I also put engine cleaner in my gasoline, changed the fuel pump and fuel filter to no avail.  It still stops on me when I least  expect it.  What could be causing it?  My friend said the same thing happened to him and it was the 02 sensor but my car has several 02 sensors.   He said it took 6 months to diagnose his problem and my car is already taking 3 months because it only happens about every 6 weeks on my car.  Please help?

Go to an auto parts store that can read your codes, there maybe some codes in memory that will help track this problem down. After you get the codes then come on back here and we will try to help.

Steven Spicer

ok one thing that I found a car to do is act like a fuel pump problem so replaced worked one week and then same thing so I put new cam and crank shaft sensors in had no more problems

Inspect your air intake tube from the air cleaner to the throttle body. Is it loose or are there cracks or holes? Take a look at the PCV system too. Sounds a little like and unmetered air problem. Go read the codes and address them if there are any. Do the simple stuff first. For the cost of the fuel pump alone, you could have had it checked out by a professional all ready. BTW - O2 sensors cannot cause this concern.

Aubrey Asiimwe

Hey everyone, my 1980 mk 6 tc dies the same way and starts anytime it feels like, and all my dashboard displays are dead, any idea what I can do?.thank you

Chris Mysona

Aubrey, my issue was i needed a new altenator, and now after a week my car died again but its because my system is draining too much power than it is being charged. Also my ground cable connecting to the batter is loose n old. I replaced the positive connector to and it resolved the issue for 6 months, but after fixing my system and now it uses double wattage i need a capacitor for my amp system.

I had the same, intermittent stalling & then wait for restart. After replacing the fuel pump and filter (no trash came out of the filter) and still the same problem, found the rubber inner hose in the fuel line coming out of the tank to the filter came apart and would block fuel & then later allow it.