20" inch rims hitting upper ball joint on 94 town car?? Rim size -225/35zr20

Asked by Aug 19, 2015 at 02:34 PM about the 1994 Lincoln Town Car Signature

How can i make the rim not hit it? The car
wont move at all.
Or do I need different sizemail rims?

Sounds like you have the wrong offset wheels, I don't know how much you have but sometimes using wheel spacers can cure this problem provided you have enough fender clearance. This car was not designed to run that size of tire/wheel. Tires for Lincoln Town Car 1994 Diameters: 16'' - 16'' Width (mm): 225 - 235 Tire aspect ratio (%): 60 - 60 Smallest tire size: 225/60 R16 Largest tire size: 235/60 R16 Rims for Lincoln Town Car 1994 Bolt pattern 5x114.3 Diameter: 16''; Width (inches): 7 - 7.5; Offset (mm): 5.

Best Answer

I tried the spacers...... didn't work. Would I have to lift the car? Or what can I do??

Lifting the car will not change the clearance of the wheel from the ball joint as that would stay the same. Your only other option is to get the correct offset wheels. You spend a bunch of cash modifying the suspension system. I have heard of places that custom make wheels but that get expensive really fast. Of course you could always go back to stock.

Oh ok. Do you know what would be the correct offset?? Do you think a 225/45r20 would probably be better or worse?

I showed you the offset with all of the tire/wheel that you will need.

thanks I appreciate it!

James Kitlas

Guys who do this lift & 20's use 4-6" Teflon boat trailer rollers to lift the body off the frame. Some speciality shops do this mod.

But Jamies a body lift won't work in this case as the wheels are hitting the ball joints, and the ball joints are fixed to the frames.

James Kitlas

Ball joints to the frame??? No, there must be some sort of A arms for suspension up & down travel. Perhaps change these A arms to aftermarket tubular type? Go to Discount Tires for clearence info. They are very good with plus size wheels & oversize tires. Ask, "what do I need to do to put 20's on my car". I'm sure they have done it before & know how. Sounds like wrong offset wheel problem? And find a shop who does this mod & ask questions. And research custom car magazines for 94' town cars / full sized Ford-? Last, research custom car magazines & look for