Want to pull a small travel trailer with my 94 Lincoln Town Car.

Asked by Jul 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM about the 1994 Lincoln Town Car Cartier

My 94 has only 72,000 original miles on it. I have a Class III hitch on it, and have pulled
1500 pounds from Cali over I-8 (long 6 %- 7% grades) to OK. Would like to pull 3500
pounds. Mechanic in Cali said transmission won't do it. Manual says it has a F-150
engine and trans, and a 5,000 pound limit. My parents pulled a 2,500 pound boat with
their 66 Continental. Can a 94 actually pull 3500? Does anybody do this?

Sorry, but, the Lincoln Town Car was down rated in towing capacity around 1990 to 2,000 pounds. See this discussion. Written by a post on fiberglass RV- "UPDATE ON THE LINCOLN TOW VEHICLE IDEA: I actually forgot that I made this post almost two years ago. But I'm glad I asked the question when I did. Since then, I did discover the tow rating of the Town Car was suddenly downrated from 5000 lbs to 2000lbs around 1990, though the engine/drivetrain was the same. We can thank American lawyers for that change. Found out much more info from talking to people and asking questions. There are several folks pulling various trailers with the Panther platform Ford cars, the Crown Vic, the Mercury Grand Marquis and the Lincoln Town Car. Can-Am RV in London, Ontario helps modify various tow vehicles and creates hitches for special purposes". So, you decide, also, I would be very careful to check your ground clearance. Cars from the 90s are lower than newer cars today. And, you're going to need trailer brakes, although, you probably know that.

Question, when you pulled the 1,500 pounds, did you notice a lot of downshifting on grades? And, what mileage did you get with the 4.6 V8?

We got around 15 mpg instead of the usual 22-23 mpg highway. We get 18.5 in town. While pulling the 8' u-haul, we put the transmission into tow/haul and did not notice anything unusual except that the engine light came on occasionally. Does this answer make a difference in your thinking? We have some towing experience, by the way. We towed a 5400 pound trailer with a 1998 E-150 van. Didn't know it was back there. We towed a 14,000 pound fifth wheel with an F-350 diesel dually, but I guess that doesn't count since that will pull almost anything. The hubby is betting on the manual guidance, but I would hate to ruin this gorgeous old Lincoln, hence the question.

I'm sorry, but I cannot find the discussion you referenced: RV- "UPDATE ON THE LINCOLN TOW VEHICLE IDEA: Can you copy the url into an answer? Thank you!

Yes, here's the link, read down to see the dialog, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f72/towing-with-a-94-lincoln-town- car-37872.html

Your car has a curb weight of just over 4,000 pounds and you're looking at towing a 3,500 pound boat? I know this is a bad idea. Your tow vehicle should be substantially heavier than your trailer. Plus, it's a 1994 car, and even though it only has 72,000 miles, which is great, it's a lot for a 16 year old car. And going uphill is an additional strain. I'm towing a 900 pound fiberglass composite trailer with my Subaru Outback Limited, which is a Four and has a rated towing capacity of 2,700 pounds. But, the tow is only 33 percent of the tow capacity and only 25 percent weight of my tow vehicle. Your situation is that you're over the maximum weight for the tow by 1,500 pounds and are at almost 90 percent for the weight to your trailer. Do you see what I mean? I really think you're going to ruin your car and more importantly, I think it's dangerous. Just my opinion. Sorry. Yes, the diesel-powered vehicle is a completely different story. That's why you see so many people driving large diesel vehicles, some with 10 cylinders.

Best Answer

You should never be driving with the check engine light illuminated.

So, have you decided to find an alternative vehicle? I would recommend it if you want to tow a 3,500 pound boat.

Yes, you've convinced the hubby. We'll be looking for something else. Thanks for the help!

Great, if you could please mark one of my previous answers, best answer, I'd appreciate that. By the way, here's a vehicle that will easily tow 5,000 pounds. Good luck.

Oops, forgot the link, here it is. http://m.hyundaiusa.com/santa-fe/