why wont my tail lights come on?

Asked by Jun 09, 2013 at 10:22 PM about the 1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature

headlights work but the tail lights wont come on.

21,765

I'll bet cha' a dollar to a doughnut hole that that there's a fuse blown.

Best Answer
165

Your electrician is the best person to do an analysis of the situation - it could be the bulb, probably some wire, or fuse as was said by 'Judge_Roy". Who knows, it could be something else. Let your electrician diagnose the problem. Good luck.

165

Sorry for the mistake - it was Tracy who suggested the "fuse" and not Judge_Roy.

Bad ground. Clean the 0 gauge 1/0 black cable ground connection to the chassis and wirebrush that point down to the metal...wirebrush the lug, clean the bolt and washer free of corrosion...assure that your battery is younger than five years old...the 1/0 connection from chassis ground to the engine is important, but as far as your lights are concerned a fuse could be blown, but why would this happen? a severe undervoltage to the chassis would do this~

initially I mistook this for a 'brake lights' problem not a "lights" problem...think what are the chances that both tail-lights would go bad at once...the only scenario is a bad voltage regulator pumpin' way too many volts thru there~...pooof go the filaments...both of them~

...see your crack about "electrician" got me a thinkin' worked on a Bronco II with an old fashioned spool regulator that the guy was monkeyin' with it (druggie) and tricked it into putting 28 volts or something crazy like that and we had to change every single bulb...course the instrument panel was black...kinda walked away from that guy...my extinct neighbor across the street in Oakland~

...in summation (love a team effort) 1.) Establish SOLID ground to chassis. 2.)put a new fuse in 3.) put fresh incandescent bulbs in (3000 hours is typical) 4.) this WILL help~

...except if a bad voltage regulator is pumpin' out off the charts~...course these are solid-state now and the chances of this happening with THIS equipment is practically nil...however with "gray power" as would happen if the chassis ground were 'clobbered up' and not givin' SOLID power, any number of solid-state brownout ill-fated decisions may occur with your ECU.~

CLEAN THAT GROUND CONNECTION!

30

Could a bad alternator cause this to happen?