Oil light goes on when i turn my steering wheel

55

Asked by Jul 09, 2009 at 12:08 PM about the 1992 Lincoln Town Car Executive

I am having some difficulty diagnosing some trouble that i am having with my 1992 town car.  It has the 4.6L V8 with no mods and the car has 227xxx Miles on it and the motor has about 8000 MI on it.  

Now for the problem:

When the vehicle is cold, there is no issue, the light does not go on, but it seems that the more i steer the wheel while driving, the more frequently this problem occurs, which is that when i turn my wheel, the oil light goes on.  it does not matter whether i am driving with my engine at 3000 RPM or idling or anywhere in between, whenever i go to corner, and even sometimes when i lane change, the oil light still goes on.  

My attempts at rectifying the situation have been checking the power steering fluid, and changing my engine oil, ensuring that the levels are up to standards.  I know that my rear engine seal has a small leak, but my power steering system seems to have no leaks and it steers and drives like it always has, without fail.  The car is perfect otherwise, and i am just wondering if this is going to hurt my car, and if i can fix it.

If it helps to know this any, i recently (3000 MI ago) brought my car to my local ford dealer to get them to install a replacement harness for the speed control deactivation switch, this was a manufacturer's recall, but i doubt it has anything to do with this.

If anyone has any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

3,405

Sounds like a simple short behind the dashboard. I would get back there with a flashlight and check out all the wires.