Unknown switch or valve

Asked by Jan 22, 2017 at 03:25 PM about the 1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier

I cannot take ignition key out even though shifter is in Park , tumbler will not go to the position where the key can be taken out . Took covers off steering and there is a white colored switch or vacuum valve with a button that goes in and out depending on the position of the shifter . What is the function of that whatever it is called . showed car to dealers parts dept. and they could not tell me or find that part in the schematics . Could that part has gone bad or there is a different reason why the key will not come out when in Park .

Found out what that part I posted is through another source . It is a vacuum solenoid that prevents the gear shift to move to any position unless the brake pedal is pushed . The problem with the key not coming out of the ignition was caused by a broken plastic bushing that keeps the shifter rod from having too much play . A fragment was preventing the key to go to the position were it could be taken out of the ignition cylinder . Thank you for letting me post my question .