On a '98 Linc. Mark VIII there is some special light all across on the trunk lid. What type of light is that and why did mine stop working?

50

Asked by Sep 19, 2013 at 06:37 AM about the 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 2 Dr LSC Coupe

On the Collector's Edition, the trim at the top of the truck lid light is dark red or cordovan color like the body, not chrome.  I was told by the previous owner this light used to work and was quite spectacular when on.  Hope this is an easy fix, such as fuse.  I see on old car parts web sites there is a ballast related to this light and that it is neon.  Comments/recommendations please.

Yep, it has a ballast and there is a good thread at: http://repairpal.com/trunk-lid-taillightstoplight-shorted-out-995 about a guy that makes custom ones with suppressors so it won't interfere with the radio,for $90 and a real good article at http://markviii.org/~glitch/inverter.html ...that explains all about it. If the ballast is not the problem, and of course let's go back to the basics: fuse, then there are a ton of them on eBay, the light fixture that is, for about $60 ....http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lincoln-mark-8-tail-light ......here is a schematic also if it helps

The schematic will get a little bigger if you click on it and this is the fixture

50

Thanks again David H. I suspect it is the ballast and for $100 that guy charges it would be a cheap fix. Especially if his ballast does not interfer with the radio.

50

I already ordered that ballast for $100. Should take about a week to get to me. Thanks, David H.

I have the same problem. Couldn't I just jump a wirr to make them work? I actually would prefer them as stop/turn lights...

Actually, scratch that. It was a ground wire on the connection near the left trunk hinge. Easy peasy...