PROBLEMS WITH BRAKE LIGHTS AND SHIFT LEVER

65

Asked by Oct 25, 2011 at 03:55 PM about the 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII 2 Dr LSC Coupe

My car is stuck in park mode can't move it out of park,then found out I had no brake
lights.Thought they went hand in hand so I changed the brake light switch have the
same problems. Does anyone have any suggestions

25

Is the car on and running and your stepping on the break and pushing the button on the center consol shifter and it dosnt move? If so there might be somthing called a shift lock relase switch. Get it towed to a shop and have them check the shifter its most likly out of your league to fix assuming because fo your previous guess.... The break lights test the fuses. Under the dash or on the drivers side of the dash im not certain of your vehicle.

80

Blown fuse in dash, circuit has brake lights n brake pressure sensor. It can't detect pressure applied to the brake peddle therefor it won't allow u to shift from park. Turn the key half way n place n nuetrel then start. That will get u by untill u replace the fuse. It about the 2nd up from the bottom near the center of the panel, red 10amp I believe. Panel is on left side ofdash as u open drivers door.

50

this happened to me I have a 1998 Mark 8... I found the problem to be the neon light in the trunk lid, unplug the trunk lid brake and tail lamp assembly, then replace the burnt fuse on the drivers side dash fuse panel., once your quarter panel brake lamps work again, you will be able to move the shifter from park. ( you cant move the shifter until you press your brakes,, if your fuse to that circuit is blown, as far as the car knows, you havent pressed the brake peddle yet,. so you cant move out of park. the brake lamp fuse is just the symptom, as is the locked trans shifter. the neon ballast lamp assembly is the problem. replace it, or do without it.

10

Have a 2010 lincoln mkz. And it did the same thing. It was my brake light switch. Its right behind the pedal.