Car turns over but won't start. I have 1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro. I replaced my timing belt and and water pump, when I went to start the car my engine turns over but it will not start.

Asked by Aug 29, 2016 at 02:37 PM about the 1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

I tried pumping the gas a few times and turning the key and notice a small amount of smoke. I seems to possibly be coming from the passenger side valve cover. I also change my spark plugs before all this so they car has not actually be driving since I changed the spark plugs but i did start after changing them.

this could be down to wiring and the smoke coming from burning wires, remove the cover and check all connections and check for signs of melted wires. my advice to you is to take your automobile to your local shop and a qualified technician should be able to diagnose the malfunctioning motor

Thanks for your response. As far as I can tell there were no burnt wires and I did not notice a smell of burnt rubber or plastic. Shops seems to be a bit over price since I'm in a small town, so I thought I try everything possible before going that route. Is there anything else you can think of that I can check. I can hear the fuel pump running and I have check fuses for the the fuel pump and timing.

have you checked for a spark, do you know if gas is getting to the motor?

it is getting gas when remove the cylinder 1 spark plug to reconfirm TDC I could tell it had gotten gas. I also did a compression check and I was not getting any compression. A thought did occur to me and maybe you can verify this. When I replaced the timing belt the passenger side cam shift a bit but instead of going counter clock wise to realign it I did a full turn clock was to match to the driver side cam tdc I think that the driver side cam and the passenger side cam on now on different strokes so valves are not closing when the are supposed to and I'm not getting compression. Should I rotate the driver side cam one more full turn?

If you think it is the timing then I suggest you remove the belt and set the crank and cam shafts in the correct position and re fit it. Check for compression again

Does the car run now? What ended up being the problem?

I got the car running. It was a timing issue. Turns out I lined up TDC on an exhaust stroke. Turn Turtle crak 360° and li`ed up TDC on the intake stroke and she started up just fine.

Thanks. I am having the same issues. I am trying to determine if I did the same thing. I refuse to let this thing beat me. My girlfriends daughter bought this car and like an idiot, I volunteered to fix it. I had to make all kinds of repairs. Had the engine out and now it's back in but won't start. The cam sensor is out of specs and giving me a code. I just ordered a new cam chain tensioner for it. I also ordered the tool to do it. I was able to get it in before without the tool but it wasn't easy. I don't see what I did wrong.