On a long trip (about 500 miles in) the battery blew. Steam started coming out of the hood, out of the battery and the windshield washer fluid started squirting. I couldn't get the windshield wipers to work. The car started running very rough and was ready to stall. I was lucky there was an exit when this happened so I coasted in when the engine did stall. The battery was smoking and the air shocks had pumped up high in the back and very low in the front. i ended up buying a battery and when I put it in, the engine ran just fine but the air shocks, the turn signals, the wipers and the front headlights did not work. Fortunately I drove it home without the use of the air shocks. Does anyone know what could have caused all of this? It seems like the charging system over-charged the battery because this is the second battery I've had in it in a year. Any suggestions?
I would start by replacing the voltage regulator... The same one was used in every V8 ford during the 80's and early 90's... It sounds like your electrical system might have gotten a power surge :/ You might have to replace the air suspension computer.
Search Lincoln Mark VII Questions
Are you a UK consumer? CarGurus now has a discussion forum in the UK.
Lincoln Mark VII Experts