1990 Lincoln Mark VII,,air bags leaking down or normal?

Asked by Jul 27, 2014 at 03:08 PM about the 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

98,395

Air bag leaking down is not normal, you will have to locate the leak, a spray bottle with a little dish soap and water works quite well in spraying down the bags and lines. Check the compressor block and tank assembly, sometimes the lines going into the tank go bad.

195

Larry, No. This is not normal. Our Lincoln Mark VII air springs are a rubber product, just like our tires. Unlike our tires, the air springs are connected to a system via vinyl tubes and o-rings. You have a leak somewhere in the system. The most likely place is one or more of the air springs. As of this writing, a factory installed air spring is at least 24 years old. Have your mechanic locate the leak and replace the rubber product with ... a rubber product and enjoy another 24 years of luxury suspension. If they try to convince you to replace your rubber product with steel springs, they either do not know what they're doing or are lazy. Seek another mechanic. See http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=105

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks for info. I've already replaced right front air bag but will do the left asap,,(had ordered 2 frt bags). I should have wrote originally,, my rear air bags are leaking down after approx. 1 hr. I've seen other Lincolns both big 4 doors and MarkII s sitting down I call it,,haha. I've seen anoth '90 MarkII thats been re-tro fitted with mustang rear end springs and related parts. I may just have that done too. in meantime I'll keep air bags all around and repair any leaks in system. Thanks again for all replies,,,Larry W.