dead batteries

Asked by Feb 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM about the 2002 Lexus SC 430 Base

My SC430 2002 has 15.000 miles and Lexus has put 7 batteries in it.
I have heard every excuse you can imagine but no resolution.
Now, they have dragged it past warranty and the 'sneak drain'
is still there.  Who else has this problem?

Austin Texas

200

My 2003 SC430 has the same problem. It is really bad in the winter, if I do not drive it everyday. I heard somewhere it has to have Lexus battery, does anyone know if this is true? Or any ideas, suggestions, would be much appreciated. Thanks! Coralville, Iowa

140

I have a 2002 Lexus sc430 that I purchased in 2004. I have gone through, what will be, my 3rd battery. Lexus dealer says because I don't drive enough and since the car runs on a computer-based system it constantly drains battery regardless if I drive or not. I put it to the test and started driving car at least once a week and didn't have an issue then when I stopped driving and had let it sit longer I had to jumpstart every time then eventually it goes completely dead. Seems like everyone with this car doesn't drive it constantly and so everyone has the same problem. The dealer did suggest for me to unplug the red cable from battery if I don't drive but I get too lazy to do it. However, on my this next battery I will do that since each battery is about $150!

3,275

It's easier to install a battery tender which will trickle charge the battery when you arent driving the car and all you simply have to do it hook it up to the battery, and when you are done driving the car and its going to sit for a while, plug in the connecter to the tender. tender stays with the car.

160

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but I have a couple solutions. 1. Turn off the automatic light switch. The one that controls the headlights. Our dealership told us that that has a constant draw on the battery. Since we turned it off, no issues. 2. As kyle stated above a battery tender, but you can set one up that uses solar power and is always in the car. It doesn't take much to trickle charge the car and you can actually make one yourself for quite cheap. This way, you're not plugging it in and unplugging it when you want to drive; it's "behind" the scenes. Just so everyone knows, there isn't a "Lexus" battery. A battery puts out volts and amps, the car does not know the difference between two batteries that put out the same power. I hope this can help someone. My issues are with the alignment. 5000 miles ago my wife had a blowout (we knew it was coming) so I replaced all tires and upgraded rims. 5000 miles later, front tires replaced again!!!! @ $240 per tire, this is rediculous!!! Anyone else have alignment issues? my email is LCLEVERSLEY@hotmail.com

3,275

Alignment issues are common because lexus has to put so much camber into the car to make it stable at higher speeds it just eats tires. the 2010 and older IS and GS have the same problem. Really no way around it since i believe camber is nonadjustable on the SC

160

thanks for the response. wasn't the answer I was hoping for.. LOL.. but it is what it is. It just doesn't make sense because when we bought it, the tires that were on it lasted a long time but 5000 miles!!?? ugh.. irritating.

3,275

Best answer is to avoid directional tires, and avoid run flat tires. Run flats are extremely hard and tend to wear funny and without directional tires, you can rotate them properly and remove the cupping that wears into the tire and remove the edges and road noise..

160

yeah, the run flats I won't buy, but I didn't even think of the obvious with the directionals.. thanks man. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next set of tires.

10

I have had this problem...it was a boomerang anti theft device. Once it was removed by the dealer...no problems again...

10

Also when storing our 2006 sc 430 for the winter I put a trickle charger on the car at 2amps....does the trick just fine. ..