second question... should i, or shouldn't i?... and additional info

Asked by Jul 28, 2013 at 03:21 AM about the 1992 Lexus SC 300 RWD

i know that this is not exactly 'repair' info, but since my main question is below...
92 SC300
150000 miles asking $2200 Canadian.  
Given its, ahem, vintage... and the fact that it's described as being in 'pretty good' condition (needs some body work)... what do you guys think?  I was going to offer $1500.  Seller says he can get the body panel (black replacement panel for a white car... ugh) for $80.  
This is probably considered sacrilege on this forum, but I'm basically looking for a beater for evenings and weekends.  With the mismatched panel it's going to look lousy.  I'm a student, and I will be busing to school, so I'm hoping for longevity and few/no repairs in exchange for minimal use.  I live in the mid-west, and the winters are vicious.  I do know that it has a block heater.
What do you guys think?  Too risky?  I need something I can really rely on.  I'm also considering, and in a position to buy, a 2005 civic.  This is obviously the far more practical/conventional decision.  That said, civics are unoriginal, and i have appropriate reverence/appreciation for something unique.  I love Japanese cars, and having a 'classic' would be cool.     
I eagerly await your advice.  EXCITING!!!

275,975

$1500 for a toy is pretty reasonable. If this is what you want, I don't see loosing too much if you have to sell in the future. It might need a few things to keep it on the road, but why not? Did you see my reply on the other thread? Frequent the forums to learn more about your new car and you might be able to do some work yourself. I know if you bought the civic, you'd be kicking yourself you didn't get the Lexus. Have fun and good luck!