What and how to fix without get raped

Asked by Jun 03, 2013 at 03:48 PM about the 2001 Lexus RX 300 Base AWD

VSC with check engine light on  occurred simultaneously.
Had codes checked at Advanced Auto:
P0440  Evap Emissions Control System Malfunction
P0441  Evap System Incorrect Purge Flow
P0446  Evap VCenmt COntrol Circuit

Nothing came up regarding the VSC.

24,585

Ask friends and other drivers of your POS where they get their cars fixed. I get the feeling that you'll feel raped if the repairs were free.

So Tracy, Your answer was not only unhelpful but stupid. Answering a serious question with that answer shows how cynical you are. Simply not answering the question at all would have been a better answer.

24,585

I'm cynical? you started your post with "What and how to fix without getting RAPED"! And I'm cynical.

27,515

You can either take it somewhere and have it checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Or you can throw parts at it yourself and hopefully fix it.

Sounds like you're a bit touchy about your work. If you're not willing to simply provide a reliable answer to the question without the drama and attitude, then perhaps finding another avenue to spout off in would be appropriate. People who come here to ask questions might just have been ripped off in the past and want to try to get some answers and an idea of how costly the fix will be. My comment about you being cynical and your assertion that me posting about getting a car fixed without getting raped (metaphorically speaking) being cynical, would simply give me reason to expect that you might just fit into the category of shops that might take advantage of me. I bought a BMW from an independent dealer/mechanic and got raped. I did find a great BMW repair shop in NH that understood my dilemma and went the extra miles to help. That may be why I am cautious. Obviously my rating your assistance will be as negative as possible.

24,585

Thank you. Good luck.

24,585

Now that I've had the opportunity to think about your remarks, I like to say that there are plenty of Consumer Advocates - especially around Automotive repair - that the only reason to get RAPED as you put it, is if you allow it. Did you go to a licensed repair facility or Joe-Blow Shade-tree mechanic trying to save a buck? Did you sue for your RAPE? Did you file any complaints against them? If someone hires a shade-tree mechanic for a bargain, they usually get what they paid for. CHEAP. SO, what I gather from your statement is that you like to drive foreign luxury cars and are a professional victim. In case you haven't noticed, only one other person had anything to say about your "RAPE" topic and they didn't say anything more than I did - just not as colorful as I said it. As far as a NEGATIVE report: I could care less. I've been a Technician since 1985, have licenses and credentials up the wazoo including some manufacturers and National Certifications that list me as a Master Technician and have for 30 years. I repair and maintain Police Cruisers for a living. To insinuate that we are RAPISTS is insulting and appalling. I suggest that you are a Professional Victim that chooses to blame an entire industry rather than accept responsibility for not taking care of yourself. Good Day!

Yes according to the State of NH yes a reputable dealer; buying any used car in NH is "AS IS". and yes I did file complaints. This is not a luxury car but rather a used car and as far as the professional victim...how would you know? This is the first time I have even asked any of these online Q & A places anything. Didn't blame the entire industry, just the dealer I bought it from for lying to me and then you for acting like an _ _ _ (think of a colorful word) just because you saw BMW and think anyone who complains is a victim. Suggest away...your professional victim blather and your "I fix police cruisers" and credentials up the wazoo tells me you definitely feel the need to defend your earlier comments by cutting others down. Never will use this website again for anything which I am sure won't bother you a bit. No one insinuated that you are a rapist let alone "we" are rapists like you represent ALL automotive places good and bad. I wouldn't doubt that you are a great technician...just not very kind.