2000 lexus ls400 204k the car was having trobule starting after sitting for an hour atleast. so i changed battery nothing chnaged then i replaced postive terminal with a terminal right from lexus and that solved the problem the car started all the time now after 2 weeks and heavy rain one night i am having the same problem when i put the new terminal in everything fine but why after 2 weeks am i having the same problem?

20

Asked by Mar 17, 2016 at 03:04 PM about the 2000 Lexus LS 400 Base

the car was having trouble starting it would always turn over but it would take a few times to start but always started until one night I needed a jump so the next day I replaced the battery didn't solve the problem after the car sitting for a few hours it takes 3 or 4 times until it starts. so then I noticed the positive terminal was rusted pretty bad so I got a positive terminal right from lexus when I put the new terminal it solved the problem the car started right up everytime no issues.  after 2 weeks and heavy rain last night I wake up this am to start the car and its the same problem 3 or 4 times be4 it starts.  I am confused because why did it start everytime after I replaced the positive terminal and why after 2 weeks am I having this problem again???? please help

25

Check your crankshaft position sensor, test your battery with a multimeter. The multimeter checks to see if your battery is discharging the proper amount of power to start your vehicle. You may also have a grounding issue which can sometimes cause this.

25

The crankshaft position sensor doesn't seem like the likely cause for the scenario, but I've had that problem before.

20

im thinking its the battery cable wire it is green and rusted could that might be it?

20

nope its not the cables now the car will always start but now after it starts I shut it off no spark no nothing just clicking noise any help please

25

The most likely cause for just a clicking sound is the wiring. When the car is having issues starting, try having it jump started. If you starts right away then it's the cables that are hooked to the battery. Make sure the cables don't have paint on them... Paint is very bad for the battery connectors. If the jump doesn't do anything, then you need to trace the cables down to the engine and use a multimeter to check if the right amount of power is actually traveling through the cable. Make sure your battery is actually pushing out the right amount of CCA(Cold Cranking Amps). The battery says it should be pushing out CCA 750 and it's actually sending out 250, then that's not enough power to start the vehicle.

25

Something that might be unlikely but not entirely ruled out is the fuel pump. If the post above doesn't help, check your fuel pump.

25

Paint, rust, corrosion, dirt, anything that is between the battery connectors and the wiring is bad. You want and need the wires and battery to have a very clean and perfect connection. I usually use a wire brush to scrape off a small amount of the battery poles and scrape the wire connectors, too.

20

i cleaned battery terminals cleaned cables worked for a day now it doesn't. The car is getting worse now in the morning it just clicks but after 4 or 5 times it just starts right im so confused and why how come when I replaced the positive terminal with a factory terminal it worked fine for 3 weeks until it rained what could it be I hope its not the starter PLease HELPPPP

20

I cut open the cables they are fine but at the top of the cable connected to positive they are greenish

25

First, do you have a multimeter? That is a very big key in figuring out what is wrong. They are cheap.. Walmart sells them. Also, at this point check your starter

25

And yes, remove any "Green", "Paint", "Rust"

20

ok UPDATE now check engine light comes on. 2 codes same code p0420 I know it s a cat code but the car runs fine. Today the car was low on gas took 10 tries be4 it started I go get gas after I put gas in car starts right up first shot. Now I put car on lift to look underneath everything looks good except for the resonator hooked to exhaust it is crushed looks like someone ran over a big rock and crushed it on drivers side. NOw im starting to wonder if this starting issue im having is fuel related PLEASE HELP

25

As I said before, check your fuel pump as it could be the issue. The resonator shouldn't cause much of an issue unless it's stopping most/all of the exhaust from coming out.

25

Also check your spark plugs and ignition coils to be on the safe side. Usual if the engine doesn't ignite the fuel, you might hear a clanking sound in the engine, or a deep vibration.

20

i do have very small vibration the car has 205K spark plugs were done at 120K im just puzzled because when I put new positive terminal it worked fine for 3 weeks until it rained that's why I don't think its the starter

20

also noticed the radio works but sometimes it sounds like the speaker is dying only sometimes and the radio lettering is not fully readable only comes in half way the numbers on the radio screen this car is driving me nuts

25

It mostly sounds like an electrical issue... The wires you can't see might be the issue. Go to a mechanic and have them take a look at it. Some can do a free checkup

20

NOW I HAVE NO POWER STEERING AND BATTERY LIGHT IS ON