Hi, just test drove a 1994 LS400 today. the only thing that concerned me was the dash would not light up at all. Is this a common problem, or the sign of something major?

Asked by Feb 24, 2007 at 08:48 PM about the 1994 Lexus LS 400 Base

17,635

Hello, I don't know about this as a common problem, but it is not a good sign that a car you test drove is already showing signs of trouble. If it were me, I would walk away *now* and find a different car that is less likely to have problems. Once things start breaking on older cars, they don't seem to start. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think it's best to walk away from this one =( CarGrrl

150

It is a known problem on the 1993 & 1994 Lexus LS400. The fix is to replace a total of 2 or 3 capacitors on the instrument cluster circuit boards. Lower the steering column and then unscrew the dashboard screws, pop the dashboard out and on the back is the instrument cluster circuit boards. It is about 30 minutes of work to do. The capacitors are less than $1.50. A Lexus dealer will charge anywhere from $1000 to $2200 to fix it. Contact Jim Walker, an electronics engineer, he reverse-engineered the Lexus boards and found this design flaw. And you can have him fix it for a lot less fee. See http://www.lexusinstrumentclusterrepair.com/

195

I test drove a black '94 LS400 with the dash out aswell. I called the local dealership and got a quote to have it fixed. First off, the first guy on here, its a Lexus, just cuz somethin goes out doesnt mean anything else will, these cars go 300,000 miles like nothing. Second, the other guy is way to overpriced. According to the lead tech at the Lexus dealership, the dash panel will run about $250, and they can put it in and program it into the cars ECU for $250-$300. So about $500-$550 total. Ive been a Lexus owner for almost 7 years, there just isnt anything that comes close to its quality and comfort.

20

I own a 94 Lexus and yes the dash starts out with no lights. Drive it for about 10 minutes or until it warms and they come on. Been driving it like this for years! You can't top this car except with a 460 ;-) Had car since 97 and except for routine maintenance - Changed drivetrain once! Mine has 168000 mi and all original parts. If you have a chance to own one you won't regret your purchase!