my battery light is on but car starts but wont come out of park and lights wont come on, is there a master safety switch?

Asked by Jan 06, 2015 at 06:08 AM about the 1992 Lexus LS 400 Base

When I went to connect my battery , I touched the negative side on the positive side. it
sparked. the car started right away but when I went to take it out of park . Wont come out
of gear and my head lights or instrument panel did not come on. only the battery light
icon. Is there a master reset somewhere. Please help . I am stranded.

20,975

You might have a problem with something called a "shift lock control" (or "shift lock override"?) on the Lexus, which has an ECU and solenoid. However you have other electronics out as well, so it might be due to a blown fuse. The shift lock ECU is in the center console, I'm not sure what fuse goes to it, if you have a service manual check it for fuse locations. You can also pick up a cheap fuse kit at any parts store that has a fuse tester and just go through all of them to find any that might be bad.