where are the drains located fro the sunroof

5

Asked by Apr 03, 2014 at 04:32 PM about the 1992 Lexus LS 400 Base

I think my drains are stopped up on my car (ls400 1992) for the sunroof and I can not find where they come underneath the car or where are they???

22,615

Taken from the Lexus forum: I used compressed air to blow out the drain channels in the rear. The drip hoses are located in the trunk behind the left and right side trunk panels. Once you have these panels removed, you can access the the drain hoses which exit the water to vents under the car. The drains are hard lines with spring wire clips connecting to clear drain hoses. I used compressed air to blow them out from the trunk to the roof. These drains are attached to the sun roof drains located in the rear side of the roof panel. Unless you're a trained technician, and you are absolutely sure the drain from the roof panel is actually leaking, I would not recommend attempting removing the headliner. If indeed it appears these rear drains may be clogged, you can remove the glass panel to see if there's something obstructing the flow to the rear drains. To remove the glass panel, you will have to remove the left and right glass panel plastic covers to expose the fastening screws. There is a spring clip holding this cover in the front and the back. Because there are shims on each side, you will have to remember where each shim stack needs to be replaced. Almost always the plastic covers will break toward the back and you will have to make a repair afterwards. When removing these plastic panels, use your finger nails to pry them loose rather than a tool to prevent breaking the glass. There are also two drains located in the front of the sun roof panel at each corner which run through the A pillar. I used weed whacker string to check that there were no clogs at the top side, but because these drains apparently terminate some place in the rocker panel, I wasn't sure they were completely clear because you can't see where they exit. However, I did notice that by testing with water that there were weep holes in the rocker to allow water to escape. It was here that i discovered that the rocker weep holes were crimped closed by hydraulic lifts and/or floor jacks used to hoist the car. I unbent the rocker weep holes and removed the front rubber access plugs and a subsequent water test proved that the water flowed out freely. Recently the we had another downpour and in the morning after the car was dry inside.