2002 Lexus is300

20

Asked by May 27, 2016 at 07:37 PM about the 2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan

I've got a 02 Lexus is300 the trac off light
is flashing on the dash I just did spark
plugs an valve cover gaskets change but
light was flashing before that someone
said it might be the oil control valve sensor
but it's acting like it is miss firing real bad
when you come a stop light the whole
engine is rocking along with the brakes
getting stiff what could be doing all this

20

Someone help me figure this out

5,305

Trac (tion) control....has nothing to do with anything but the control of the wheels...like will apply the brakes for you with the one wheel that needs braking...a bit of a delicate system...you certainly do not want the car to malfunction...that's why it is important that you examine the sensors in the wheels to make sure signals get through~ that is the problem here~ sensors are spooked~

185

On Toyota & Lexus products, 9 times out of 10, if there is a fault in the engine control module, it will cause a fault code to set in the ABS/VSC/TRAC module. The brake pedal being stiff with a rough engine says to me you might have left the vacuum line for the brake booster disconnected. Scanning engine codes may reveal misfire codes, maybe a lean code. Check for ANYTHING disconnected or improperly connected, clear the codes and the lights should go out

20

It didn't start this until after I get gas it ran fine the night before an that morning but I stopped an got gas from a place I usually don't get gas from it has 236,000 miles on the car when I pulled the plugs there was oil filled the spark plug channel an oil covered the boots of the coil packs I cleaned as much as I could off an cleared the codes twice but the light comes back on an starts acting up again

185

You may have gotten some contaminated fuel. It might help to go buy a bottle of Heet from the parts store and add it to the tank. but if at all possible, try and catch some fuel in a glass jar or cup, and if it looks cloudy or off in color, that would be it. If you recorded your trouble codes, posting them here might help.

5,305

with the mileage will suspect that the headgasket has deteriorated..might just do a compression test and see the leakage...if it is not blowin' out the tail-pipe is 'cause the oil goes where is shouldn't be going...I'd check the headgasket~ my Isuszu impulse basically self-destructed on my way from LA with the bolts LOOSE all of a sudden as the second rate headgasket turned to chewing gum~

To the question about the traction control light blinking , make sure you don't have an alternator or battery issue when your battery dies or is low on voltage it affects the whole electronic system in the IS 300 , i've had this happen before and many other issues just because the battery wasn't for when I turned it over to start

5,305

yes, well it is physical, not electrical...one of the wires going back to each wheel has been compromised, either from taking it off road like a 4wd vehicle or road debris has clobbered one of these wires~ or transducer....inspect each of these systems...trac light will go off~

I have a 2003 Lexus IS 300, it has 296,000 miles on it. My trac off light and check engine light has been flashing every since I had 125,000 miles on it. I took it to Toyota's Service Department and they hooked it to the computer and told me that one of my Catalytic Converters was bad. It was going to cost a grand to fix it so... I opted out. Now with me being a woman, I really don't understand how a catalytic converter makes a traction light come on??? I understand that the Check Engine light would come on, but the trac off light???

5,305

Catalytic converter is a high-ticket item, that is why...the check engine light may come on for a loose gas cap for example...any number of reasons....takes a little homework to deduce~...sounds like they are trying to "rip you off"~ which is NEVER done in the auto repair business (not)~