Timing Belt Kit -- which one??

60

Asked by Mar 15, 2014 at 09:27 PM about the 2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan

Hi, I have a 2002 Lexus IS300, 5 speed.  It's time for the 90k mile service, and that means a timing belt.  I understand that I should order a "timing belt kit" but, in looking it up to buy, there is a wide range to choose from, from kits with four parts, to kits with 11 parts, and so forth.

Any recommendations on what to order?  I have been told to go ahead and do the water pump, and the bigger kits have that, plus a thermostat, plus a range of seals, but they seem to differ with what parts they include or don't include, so it's pretty confusing because it seems there is no "standard" kit....

Plus, prices vary greatly, from as low as a few hundred, up to nearly four hundred.

One kit I am looking at, in the middle range, has a timing belt, idler, hydraulic tensioner, drive belt, front cam seals, front crank seal, water pump, O ring, thermostat and thermostat gasket.  It's $250 in price.

Does that sound sufficient?  Too many parts, or not enough, or?

Any help would be wonderful.  

Thank you!

30

Set timing chain on 07 toyota 4 runner

Best Answer
34,165

You first have to ask yourself. Do I have the skill to do this?

60

Wow, what a total waste of time to ask a question here. One reply makes no sense whatsoever, and the other is some lame attempt at sarcasm. Completely useless.

60

And, by the way, for those actually wanting to know, it turns out that the more pieces in the kit, the better. Basically, it's a big job to get in there and so it makes sense to replace as much as possible, while doing the timing belt. Kits come with extra parts because, just as the timing belt is wearing out after 90k miles, so are all the other parts connected, so it makes sense to replace as much as possible due to the labor time of accessing that part of the motor. Thanks ME for a great answer!

34,165

So smart guy, when you have all the parts laying on the ground and you can't remember how to line up the timing marks will you think it a waist of time coming back here and as for help or think I should have had it done by someone who knows what they are doing? Having asked such a basic question and if you're doing it yourself I think you'll be back. Good luck.

60

So not-smart-guy, I figured it out, job done, car runs perfect, as usual with all my work, so I won't be back. Have fun hanging out here with your lame sarcasm. Or maybe jump on forums and flame people asking for help just to feel like a big shot. It's people like you that ruin it for everyone. Get over yourself.

34,165

BTW my first answer was an dope slap of reality. The second WAS scarcisum. I'll be looking for your add on Craigslist next month. 2002Lexis 300 IS. Needs engine work. Selling for parts only

34,165

I'm betting on seeing your Craigslist add by the end of next month. Anyone who asked such a basic question to start with won't know a screwdriver from a crescent wrench. Repost here when you want to find out how much your Lexus is worth with a bad motor.

60

I'm betting you'll take some spelling lessons one day, when you realize grown ups should read and write competently when attempting to answer questions on forums, online. Clearly, however, you have nothing better to do, and I find your sad life amusing, so I'll play along until it's boring. Oh, it's boring now. And thanks for the attempt at being an online flamer with no gas in your tank, but my motor rocks, along with my Lexus, thanks much. Maybe you should find out how much your opinion is worth -- oh, let me help...it's worth nothing. And, as a side note, just because you had no valuable answer to give to a question that you in fact defined as being SO simple to answer just shows you have nothing to offer anyone, anywhere, ever, for any reason. This is a place for car gurus, not children who've never owned a vehicle and have nothing but weak, witless words to spew. If you had no answer to the question, why in god's name did you post at all? Seriously. Get. A. Life.

60

And good lord learn English if you want to play with the big boys. Otherwise go home to your empty garage and slap yourself for being the miserable wretch you are. Unbelievable.

34,165

Sonny boy, I've owned more cars then you'll ever own. Mercedes, Jaguars, Fords, GM's Chrysler. You name it I've owned it. As a matter of fact I've forgotten more cars that I've owned then you will ever own! Now that you replaced your timing belt what are you going to do with all of the special tools required to do the job? Now go back to your job as The Internet Spell Checker and have a nice day. :>)

34,165

Sunny Boy I could buy and sell you with the change in my pocket. I might even buy the place your living in and have you evicted. Just for fun.

60

Ahahahha, wow, and delusional as well. Is that your million dollar Kia with the broken door handle? Or is it secretly an Aston Martin in your dreams? I think I'll sell all the magical tools and buy more cars than I can even remember ahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Thanks Cloudy Boy. You gave me a much needed laugh for the day. Yup, go sell your Kia and buy me out. Or, maybe I'll just hire you to clean my sewer. Oh, wait, maybe you can buy out Bill Gates too, oh fantasy billionaire ahahahaha!!! Do you work at a scrap yard? Tip, owning junk ain't owning a real car. I will have a nice day, thank you, and a nice life, celebrating that I'm not in your shoes. Have fun picking through the dump for your next ride. And, hey, big props for getting some words spelled right! Looks like you're learning from me already. No thanks needed. I'm glad to help. :-)

34,165

Sonny Boy. Here in The Philippens Rich Amricans keep a low profile. Oh and why haven't you signed up for Obamacare yet? I'll bet you had to finance your Lexus and now can't afford your Obamacare payments.

34,165

Hey, didn't I see you on TV? As I recall they were repoing your Lexus for being 90 days behind in your payments. Now go get a job and start paying taxes. Your hero Obama is depending on you.

60

I was too busy buying and selling all my cars to buy health insurance, so I just bought a hospital instead and I get free care now. But, now I know you are from the Philippines I can't be upset with you because I have family there. Next time though, give someone an answer, instead of an insult. Looks like you've answered plenty of other people's questions, so it seems you could have either answered mine, or just moved on to a different inquiry. But, like I say, you get a pass now. I still think my answers were more hilarious though, I'm just saying....

34,165

And in return I'll let you slide also. As for the Philippines, I love it here. I have COPD and my monthly meds in Boston ran me $250 AFTER my insurance deductibles. ( Retail without insurance would be $700.00) I buy the same meds here Without insurance for $80.00! Same manufacturer! Same meds! I bought a 3 bedroom 2 bath house for $32,000.00. The taxes are (not a typo) $25.00 a year. We have a full time house keeper.$ 50.00 a month. Our security guard runs less then $80.00 a month. The Kia blew a head gasket and the labor was about $175.00! This is a great country. The people like Americans and English is the official language. Oh one more thing. A Doctor visit runs from $2.00 to $10.00 so you guys are getting screwed with Obamacare. By any chance do you know where your mechanic is from in the Philippines? It a country of 7000 islands, depending on if it's high tide or not. Peace my brother and good luck with that nincompoop Obama.

60

Right on bro, you found the paradise on earth. I loved it there SO much. This place is garbage, and just runs downhill more and more every year. Like many people, I'm opting to just pay the stupid yearly fine (or tax or whatever they want to call it) instead of be forced to fork over hundreds each month for so-called care that is likely to be lethal. I know, over there, not only is care super affordable, but it's GREAT care, as in it actually helps people! Here, even if a person can afford a million bucks for whatever a doctor might do, it's a crap shoot what the outcome will be -- people are going in to get tonsils out and winding up dead! Crazy! Hmm, I think my mechanic's wife is from a northern area of Luzon maybe? Not quite sure. I've got friends and extended family in Cavite, around Dasmarinas. I've also been to Ukraine and loved it there -- sad to see the mess over there now, made worse by idiocy from here. Peace to you too and enjoy the joys of beautiful Philippines!