rear passenger door lock will not open with remote, solutions?

30

Asked by Sep 26, 2013 at 05:45 PM about the 2002 Lexus ES 300 Base

I went to lock my 2002 Lexus es300 and the rear passenger door did not lock. when i manully locked it, it would not open with the remote nor with the driver master control. i dont think it is a fuse as the other doors would not lock or open, any ideas?

The wiring from body to door.. from 10 years of open/close. The signal from the fob does not do directly to the door lock, it goes to the receiver and BCM, and since it's only the one door and neither remote nor drives switch work... suspect wiring harness to that door. But then you say 'other doors would not...." is it the one door or not? A typo?

30

all the other doors work just fine from both the remote and the main door lock system.

30

so if you believe it is a wiring harness connection, how does one go about removing the door panel? or should i just take it to a dealer or autobody place to remove the pannel for me?

That's really just a guess you know, but it is the most common cause when it's only one door and age of car taken into consideration. Might not be inside door, but where wire loom enters door from body. My suggestion is let a professional trace it, test the BCM, if you can afford it. If you are not experienced working on automotive electrical you might open a can of worms that won't go back in. Personally, on my budget, I would have to just live with it.

PS Not the Dealer. There are plenty of competent shops that will be 2/3 to half dealer cost ..dealers don't fix anything. They Replace with new.

30

thanks for your assistance David

3,495

It's doing to be a door lock actuator. It's common on those cars. Door lock actuator fails and will not lock unlock with the fob or from the control on the front door switches. I've replaced many of these on ES's RX's and GS's.

30

i havent gotten aroud to fixing it yet as I was affraid the cost wasnt worth it. i will have to look into the cost and how long it will take to replace. I'm handy with wood working, not so much with removing interior door pannels! thanks Kyle