Lexus ES300, how often should a charcoal canister be replaced? I was told I needed to replace mine but no ck engine light is on.

50

Asked by Aug 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM about the 2000 Lexus ES 300 Base

90,775

It may be due mileage wise, but I have never had to replace a carbon canister unless it became fuel saturated. If you don't have a check engine light for fuel vapor or canister purge then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Never actually had the need to replace one of these...if it gets flooded with gasoline because SOMEONE does not know how to stop at the FIRST CLICK~....it will cure itself with time and mileage~

The charcoal, as these fine gentlemen explained, never needs to be replaced. It absorbs the hydrocarbons instead of releasing it in to our air, then purges with intake vacuum, over and over again. It has a life span longer than your car.

Best Answer

But what if it clicks off on $39.50 and you already gave the cashier $40?.

a tip...karma, dude~

I like the pretty RED and sometimes YELLOW and sometimes FLASHING colorful festive display on my dashboard...who couldn't use a little color in their lives?~

How true..how true. Pay it forward

Hey! same here..big anvil clouds with purple bottoms and 4 or 5 really loud thunderclaps....the cat is having apoplexy

50

I had a quote from repair shop on the charcoal filter of $ 460 so I just needed and idea from you pros. It's an ole woman thing to be cautious. Never had a problem since I had bought it new. Thanks all !

For one thing BSHaynes even in the unlikely event it had to be replaced that is obscene trying to take advantage of you like that. Granted they are a bit expensive, to the tune of $275 or maybe a bit more, but nearly $200 in labor time is a rip off to be sure. Next time you need anything done on your car go someplace else.

Do not replace the canister!...it's okay (unless cracked) and really has a non- consequence effect on the performance, but is to prevent hydrocarbons from entering the atmosphere...will have NO effect~ (except to your wallet)~

60

My Lexus dealer in Durham said my charcoal canister has an intermittent leak (2004 ES330, 103,000mile). If the check engine light comes on again, he recommends replacing at a whopping $826! Car won;t pass inspection if the computer signals disfuntion- OK for now.

I also had my shop say that I needed a new carbon filter. The total was 828.00!!!! My check engine light is still on and they said that the carbon filter wont close- it stays open. They said that the whole thing needs replacing because they can't buy the separate little part that doesn't close. This sounds a little iffy to me.

90,775

Janine you might get more replies to a new post, this one is 3 years old and most of us have stopped following older posts, but I must have missed this one.