shifting issues

Asked by Jan 08, 2014 at 09:44 PM about the 1995 Lexus ES 300 Base

I bought a 95 Lexus ES300 a month ago with shifting issues. Now that I have been
driving it more often now and farther distances I have noticed a few things and I am
wanting to know what is causing the issue. There is no check engine light on. When I
put my car in drive after backing out of my driveway my car won't shift into 2nd gear
unless I take my foot completely off the gas (not brake) and reapply my foot and it
shifts hard.  Only after I just started my car.
2nd My car will not go into overdrive so when I am going 55 MPH my RPMs sit at 3k.
3rd I drove it pure HWY yesterday 20 miles each way and never died on me. So today I
decided to take my lexus since my heater is not working in my other car and on my
way to work my car kept dying in the city traffic. It'd die just before I made it to a
complete stop for a stop light. It did that 3 times in my 30 mile drive to work. Some
lights it stayed running other lights it did not. I had to wait at least 2 min before I can
get it to recrank.We just changed the trasmission fluid and the oil.the car only has
105K on it. after the first drive after leaving the house or what not it shifts smooth and
nicely into 2nd and 3rd but will not shift into Over drive.

100,445

Assuming you don't have an overdrive off button, sounds like you have a couple of problems, the tranny problem sounds like a failure in either the selector switch or the transmission computer control module, your problem staying running could be a sensor for the ECM, a power or ground pathway overheating, or an ECM getting ready to go bye bye, depending on when the car was built it could be Toyota ODB1 system so a shop will need to look at it for any driveablity codes, if you are fortunate enough to get one built late in the year it could have OBD2 and if so most parts stores can pull the codes for you for free saving you some bucks for diagnosis.

60

What will cause my 2000 Lexus es300 to putting

100

question drove it got in four hours later put into drive and it wont move what could be the problem??

76,915

The overdrive off button would reset after the engine is turned off so I don't think that would be the issue.

50

My 99 es300 shift in 123 but it wnt go I to 4 an overdrive old it be a sensor it just did it