Could heavy rain cause my transmission to fail?

Asked by Dec 28, 2012 at 05:29 PM about the 1994 Lexus ES 300 Base

I was  driving my 1994 Lexus ES 300 in a rare Arizona rainstorm a few weeks ago. Streets were slightly
flooded. When I pulled up to a stoplight, the engine just conked out. I restarted my car, and it turned
over just fine, but when i put it in drive it would not move. It drove normally when it was in Reverse or
Low, but when I put it in Drive, it would barely move. I thought transmission, so I decided to just buy a
new, used car. After weeks of searching for used cars, I decided to try it out again and it drives normally
just like before the incident! Now I don't know if I should continue the car search or just ride out the last
few miles of this car. If rain was the main problem, It wouldn't be so bad to wait a few months to try and
have more money saved up for when I really need a new car. Heavy rain isn't a regular occurrence in
Arizona.

96,925

I would drive it. The car might have a problem only the rain - probably a loose connection somewhere. Stay out of car washes too.

The coil probably got wet . Let it dry and it will run right as rain ( no pun intended )