My car won't start and keeps turning over, what could be wrong?

5

Asked by Nov 15, 2007 at 12:07 AM about the 1991 Lexus ES 250 Base

I go to start the car and it turns over, you can hear a clicking like the starter is still trying to start but it won't start. Most of the time it will not start for about an hour and if you hold the key after that for about 20 seconds it will finally start. Today I go to start it and have tried numerous times and it still won't start. The windows are rolling down a little slower, so I am thinking it might be the battery, starter, or alternator. The alternator belt is also tighter than normal.

you seem to be on the right track, i would start with starter.

40,315

I'd make sure the battery is fully charged first. If the battery is fully charged and the starter is OK, it should start and run. Then you can check the alternator output to see if it is charging properly. If the battery is charged and the starter is still acting like you describe, you have a bad spot in the starter windings, and the starter will need to be replaced.

50

Yes its your starter motor it will get worse the longer you leave the repair. For friendly advice join the Outlawjapclub.com

5

try your battery first, then try your ignition ciol

16,255

A fast clicking sound isnt the starter working but its the solenoid not having enough voltage to engage properly. Jump it off and have voltage tested. With the car off the battery should be at 12.6 and running between 13-15ish. If you have tried starting it for so long you battery is low and needs charged, try to get a jump start or charge that battery.