Gas nozzle keeps turning off when I try to fill up my 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

75

Asked by Nov 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM about the 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. It seems like the vapor guard on newer nozzles
makes the pump think the tank is full, even when it isn't. I have to hold the "trigger" in between off and on
and slowly pump gas in, it hurts my hand after awhile, sometimes overflowing when I'm trying to top it
off. Doesn't happen on old gas pumps without the guard, and happens about 80% of the time on newer
pumps. Thanks for any tips!

254,695

Your fuel line vent line can be clogged shutting the pump off.

19,295

Or try holding the nozzle at a different angle.

75

Thanks for the info. I will check into the vent line. I did try pumping with the nozzle completely upside down, but couldn't seem to get the seal for the vapor guard flush enough to the car to even get gas flowing... I'll have to try that again though, at other angles. Someone at the gas station, noticing my trouble, suggested putting a brick under the rear tire where the gas cap is (driving up onto it), to help gas flow down better, but I can't do that every time I fill up! I'd rather just do what I'm doing.

385

The gas already flows downward I don't believe a brick would help maybe try to look down the fuel fill make sure nothing was put down in there or dropped anything,