Small portion of clear coat peeling on roof. need to be both repainted and new clear coat, or can just a layer of clear coat be applied?

175

Asked by Jul 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM about the 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

If I can avoid repainting the whole roof or the whole car, I do. Green was a rare color for GW's only being
offered in their final year so I want to keep as much of the original paint as possible. Can this be fixed just
with a reapplication of clear coat?

246,045

From the picture the green color is gone from where the clear coat was and there is another spot of rust. Clear is just that clear, so the main surface has to be perfect to get the clear coat looking good too. So your best bet is to have the roof of the car sanded down, repainted and re-cleared. No need to do the whole vehicle.

3,015

I second toms answer!