1990 Wagoneer dies shortly after idle

25

Asked by Apr 12, 2015 at 06:54 PM about the 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

I have a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It has the AMC 360... tf a727.. the np whatever
tcase.... its a stock wagoneer. has about 160,000 miles on it. I did notice it having
problems cooling down if you drive it long (which I am intending on getting an HD
radiator and replacing the thermostat to remedy) For my current issue, I let it sit for
about an hour to an hour and a half after driving it about 100 miles, then while driving it
about 10 miles after letting it sit for an hour or so, I had seemingly lost power steering
and the throttle was not working, to which I coasted to a safe place. What I have done
since this incident is: added more water to the radiator reservoir as it had become lower
than the full mark, but still in operating ranges, I had tried to cool the block by pouring
water on the block, I also let it sit overnight.

The next day, I tried to start up the wagoneer, I would crank it, and it would just attempt
to start. If I added gas or carb starter in the carb, it would just be started for a couple
seconds and die immediately after. I had read that it could be either the fuel pump or
fuel filter on these forums, so I had gone out to the auto parts store and bought a new
filter and ordered a new pump... replacing the old filter with the new one did not help
the issue, and inspecting the old filter led to the conclusion that it was fine. We then
attempted to gravity feed gas into the carb through a gas can and some hose through
the filter and then the normal route to the carb, but that produced similar results of not
staying started long. Is the filter and the pump the only two things that could cause
this? I was wondering if the carb could be an issue as well.

6,785

That didn't work because you didn't have any pressure behind it (7 to 10 psi), time for a pump

143,015

Ditto on CamaroCollector's answer. Time for a new fuel pump. Depending on how you interpret this chart, it needs way more than gravity feed can give. http://jameshalderman.com/links/book_adv_eng_perf_5/s_and_c/Fuel_Pressure_Specifications.pdf

25

Can either of you by chance help me out with finding the pump's location? I have not yet purchased a repair manual (hayne's, chilton's, etc) and the internet has either got me looking at XJ electric fuel pumps or conversions to electrical fuel pumps which does not help with a mechanical pump. I have not owned the Jeep long and am not a mechanic by trade so I am not as familiar with it as I would like to be

143,015

Looks like this and is bolted to side of block ...so the lever can be pumped by an eccentric disc cam inside