Remanufactured 5.9L engine

Asked by Oct 12, 2012 at 04:47 PM about the 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

I have owned a 1990 Grand Wagoneer for the past 2 years and not had much mechanical trouble apart from replacing the air pump, the fuel pump, the coil and the carburetor. The bodywork/paint is in really good condition with no rust, and the interior is great except for a missing rear cargo area cover. "Woody" just failed the GA emissions test and I've been told by my repair shop, who I trust, that they'll need to replace the engine because the main bearings are beginning to get noisy. They can install a remanufactured 5.9L engine for $5,400 - ($3,400 for the engine and $1,700 for labor). If I have the job done, I'll keep the vehicle for several years, so I'm not over-concerned about the investment, but I'd be interested to hear any opinions on the cost of the engine. Thanks a lot

1,305

worn bearings should not make the vehicle fail an emissions test. Putting $5400 in a 22 year old vehicle is questionable, especially since you also have a 22 year old transmission and transfer case. I would get a second opinion from another independent shop. If their numbers are similar, then your regular shop is probably on target. I would also seek the second shop's opinion on the failed emissions test.

2,985

I have 9 Grand wagoneers, and they are a nightmare to get passed an emission test. First, bearings will not make a difference on emissions, however if they are making noise, then yes the engine is about to go. Do you hear the noise? Should be very noticeable to you if they are. And $3400 for that motor is INSANE. and $1700 for labor is RIDICULOUS. Labor should be around $700-800 and the engine should only be $2500 for a high quality jasper, you can get some rebuilt engines for under $1000 but that is a low budget rebuild, usually get what you pay for. Now there are many things you should replace with the engine like tune up, fuel pump, water pump, lots a vaccum lines and all belts and hoses.

Best Answer
30

You should go with swapping your engine with some rebuilt or used engine available with your near used part dealer or junkyard. As Kurt has said used parts are comes with cheap price, as you may know also. While replacing part for your older “1990 Grand Wagoner” you must swap your whole engine with cheap price deals available online such as one http://www.hiperformer.com/engines/jeep-grand_wagoneer.html you can check here.

135

You Woody can be resurrected again and that too by not draining you pocket in the process. You can have a used engine for the Jeep from http://www.automotix.net/usedengines/jeep-wagoneer-inventory.html which not only will be within your budget (around $1200) but also with warranty. Do check it out.