worth the money?

35

Asked by Jan 08, 2008 at 02:12 PM about the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

I am in the market for a new car, and I love the look of the Grand Cherokee, but I have heard that they are maintenance nightmares. Is this true?

43,565

For the money, I would save up a bit extra and get yourself a leftover '07 or even an '08 Grand Cherokee, so you get the benefit of Chrysler's lifetime powertrain warranty. I have not heard any problems with the newer ones specifically -- save for the window regulators, which fail early and at $257 each can get costly. My sisters '02 went through two power window regulators in a week -- soon as I fixed one, the other conked out! These are, however, great vehicles and for the most part I have heard few complaints about them.

10

I too am looking at purchasing a used GC and have heard many negatives. 3 co-workers all have sworn never to buy another Chrysler and said they disposed of their Jeeps within 2 years. These were all 2004 or prior models and I'm optimistic that the newer 2006 and beyond are better. Reading reviews and trying to make an informed decission - curious if you purchased a Jeep or not?

110

Iam the proud owner of a 1999 Larado with 83000 miles. I had several manufactoring problem while it was under warranty (oil pan leak,pinon bearing, axle out of spec and transfer case oil leak), but since it has proven to a very dependable machine. I am not aware of any major problems of the later models, but if I were in need of a new SUV, and they were available, it would be a Jeep. I live in NE Wyoming with very harsh winters and it is a great unit for this area.

25

I wouldn't get Jeep. They are real pigs on gas. And, I think that they are real hassles for maintenance. I grew up with Toyota, so I know that they are one of the best on the road. If you want off road type, I would stick with Toyota, because they know what they are doing. The FJ Cruiser is the one that you want. If you want something that you have a little bit of every thing, the 4 Runners are the way to go. But, Hey, thats just my view.

35

I own a 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited, bought brand new. The only thing I did to it was put new Goodyear Eagle's on it. It has never broke down since new, knock on wood?

35

they are only nightmares if you buy it from someone that used it as a romper...this causes SERIOUS wear on EVERYTHING...but if you get one that was a grocery getter (like mine) you will never have anything to fix.

Of course they are. It's a jeep. Don't ask silly questions. It's a love affair with jeep owners. It's what makes us be men and not Toyo little girls.