service 4wd system

Asked by Apr 02, 2008 at 09:57 AM about the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

Hi ,on this jeep i have the service 4wd system light comes on alot took it to dealer they said nothing wrong but can`t keep the light off how can i get it to stay off. thanks Joe

40,285

Something is wrong or there wouldn't be a light on. Try a different Jeep dealer, or an independent mechanic. Many dealerships don't want to get involved in warranty work as it pays less. When I was a Dodge service advisor, Chrysler paid around $64/hour for warranty repairs, there was a fixed diagnosis time allowable, plus there was a more involved process for receiving the money and claiming the parts. Dealership charged Joe Customer $76 per hour, and he had to pay for parts and labor upon picking up the vehicle. If we were busy enough with Joe Customer work, the service manager tried everything he could to AVOID doing warranty work. Not right at all, just letting you know how it works from the inside. A more ethical dealer may be willing to help you out.

6,485

agreed, my brother works for a very large Toyota dealer and it is the smae everywhere. Try another dealer

60

Mine did this for a few minutes before my battery went quit working, it's crazy but it didn't show up again after i got a new battery! Maybe you could have your battery checked for free at a car parts store, before you go to start your car and it won't start like mine did :) Hope this helps!

495

Go to advance auto parts and get them to put a code reader on it. It will help narrow things down. It might be mileage sensitive light to tell you to change the fluid in the transfer case.

There is a technical service bulletin out for this issue. Take it to a 5-star dealer and they will know what to do. The TSB says the light comes on when there are no faults found. The dealer will need to downlaod the new software for the Final Drive Control Module so the light stops coming on erroneously. Here is the TSB: http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101406a.pdf

40

hi I just bought a used limited 2006 same problem with the 4wd message, and yes the battery was the problem! As soon as I changed it- the message went away. Good luck

40

Is it still gone after replacing the battery? I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy.

100

Don't know if this will help or not. I just bought a used 2008 about a month ago. Long story short, the indication came on on the EVIC display. Took it to the dealer and they "re-flashed the software for the Final Drive Control Module". It ran fine for about 5 miles and then shifted into 4wd Lo coming down the Walt Wittman Bridge in Philadelphia... at about 50 mph. Not sure how much damage was done to the transmission. I was able to get the transmission back into 4wd hi and drove it back to the dealer. Just saying I don't think this is necessarily the fix for all these problems. They've had it for about a week now. Thank goodness I bought an extended warranty at the time of purchase.

395

Sometimes you can clean the switch..it gets Corrosion on it or road grime. ..you can try WD 40 ...This is a fairly common thing with jeeps and it's normally nothing to be worried about.

40

It's funny how these posts come back to haunt you. Or in my case it's a good story. Apparently the wife slid down this horrible ice hill we live on in, somewhat backwards in the middle of winter. The dummy light comes on and stays on until I took it out, locked up the brakes on a small patch of ice on the dirt road. Battaboom batta bing. Light goes off. Apparently computer thought Anti-lock wasn't working on the solid ice. Cycled through it (brakes pulsing) and then the light disappears (still gone). Just to be sure I tried it again, light comes on when the vehicle anti lock brakes are being actuated going........backward! Locked em' up again on the same patch moving forwards, light goes off.

20

I had the same issue and low battery was the reason. I replaced the battery and light went out. The battery was at between10.5 and 11 volts and the brake controller (after market) was acting up as well.

100

I replied to this post a few months ago. Just to raise the pucker factor a little bit, I was getting this message, after numerous re-flashes to the final drive control module, it ended up being my transfer case at a cost of about $3000.

2,645

My 95 GC Limited would do it a few times at random. I just went under it, where the transfer case is, and wiggled the wire harness. The "Service 4WD Switch" hasn't come back on since.

575

it has nothing to do with the switch atall this is a common problem in all 95 ltd v8 grand cherokees the display screen itself is faulty and if u disconect the switch you have no speedometer replace the display out with one from a newer ltd i believe you have to do sum simple wiring replaceing sum pig tails... wow this guy asked this like 5 yrs ago any one think he fixed it yet??

5

I just bought a 1994 jeep GC limited and the "service 4wd " error was on. it also said to check oil. So i just did an oil change and oil filter change on the jeep and both errors went away.....LUCKY ME!

60

When there are no faults that show up when the service 4wd comes on, you need to inspect your wiring to and from the transfer case. I was advised to look for a short or bad connection (corrosion in the connectors). Also, there is a possible short in the differential. If you raise the vehicle up and rotate a rear wheel while checking for continuity at the connector to ground, the problem may be in the differential. If you have intermittent continuity to ground while rotating the differential gears, you will have to find the short inside the differential that goes to that connector. This is not a TSB, but a suggestion from a Jeep Engineer that worked with the 4wd system to suggested this for my 2006 Grand Cherokee with the same problem. I cannot look into this until the Spring as I have no garage and it is too cold where I live. Good Luck.

305

My service 4wd system light is on and it wont go into 4low ? 05 Jeep grand Cherokee laredo 4.7

10

I think it could be the battery dropping the voltage bellow a certain value special when starting(during cranking) after the car was off for a longer perioad of time and an error is reported from the 4wd module.If that is the case after few minutes warm up,turn the car off then back on and the message should go away and 4wd low should work again.It might require a new battery soon or maybe an overnight charge will help..All this will assume good connection to the battery terminals and/or chassis ground.

240

Just had my 05 4.7 in for the factory recall on the final drive deal. Now I can not get low range and getting the message service four wheel drive system

50

have 2012 grand overland. service 4wd light on, took to independant shop, (my uncle in business 40 years, code said no comunication to electronic possie in rear. took to jeep he ran and said the actuator to rear diff has to be replaced, after I told him of investigation by bueru of auta repair (394complaints) look up tech bullitin 21-001-14 alot of info on that web sight. 39000 miles and will be done on warenty.

My 2102 Overland has the same problem.. Took it back several times but the service 4wd light and trac light keeps coming back. Finally today they said there was a bad wiring harness, a sensor and one of the axles needs replacing? They are o order under warranty. Sure hope this fixes

10

Serv4wd and trac light came on intermittently with no obvious cause. When lights were on, driving it seemed to drag. I'm guessing because 4wd not engaged. Battery checked fine. Threw a nonsense code, mechanic did nothing was wrong with it. Lights are off. Got in the jeep to leave and the same lights were on. Finally threw code for rear differential motor. 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L V8 Hemi

10

Not sure if anyone will see this on such an old post...all the lights mentioned come on when starting up my 2012 liberty and stay on. If I use the remote starter, they don't come on at all. How can this be?