2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland AC clutch wont turn on.

20

Asked by May 17, 2017 at 03:19 PM about the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD

Trouble shot the wiring back to the relay and find that something isn't firing the relay. I can manually fire the relay plug and the clutch turns on. Just don't know what drives the relay when the AC button is pushed. Any help would be appreciated.

730

Not to worry, Probably nothing is broken. Most automotive A/C systems have a low pressure cut out switch that prevents the compressor from coming on when it's low on refrigerant (134a). It's the refrigerant that circulates the lubricant oil to protect the compressor from running dry. So all you have to do is recharge the system with 134a to get it to run. If it's this low, it will probably take two of those 12oz cans of refrigerant. The compressor should kick on after the first can. The oil is still in there because it doesn't evaporate. If you are not familiar with doing A/C service, it's not difficult but get some help, be safe. I hope this helps. Incidentally, I think the Jeep Overland is the best 4x4 ever built!

20

Thanks, tried that and it doesn't work. Is there anything else that stops the relay from working. I can start the clutch by power probing the socket and the relay is good and the freon is full.. The heater doors work good as they easily change from hot ait to cool air..Scratching my head on this one and in the high 80's today. Bummer!

730

I'm sorry that didn't work. Next. The low pressure cut out switch I referred to is located on the receiver. That's the black metal bottle 8" tall and 3" round, behind the battery. Unplug that two wire harness and close the circuit on the harness, with engine and A/C on to see if that clicks the clutch on. If that works, you can drive with it " hot wired" until you get to replace that switch. Changing a broken switch, you will have to release your refrigerant charge and start over. My Jeep is a 1999 Limited w/4.0 engine and should look about the same. I hope I got it right this time.

730

Here's another idea. Next to the battery is a black fuse/relay box. There is both a relay and a fuse that work for the A/C clutch. You said the relay clicks but it still might not be working entirely right. Swap it out with another relay in that box as a brief test. Also in that box is a 15 amp fuse labeled A/C. Test that too. Under the dash, left of the steering column there is no fuse or relay labeled A/C. None. I checked the owners manual too. I hope this helps.

20

Thanks, I will check that also.. I was told to check the high pressure switch and found that it was unplugged. Problem is, I can't find the pigtail for it and I looked everywhere! I found 2 pigtails, one looked like a 2 wire test socket with a rubber plug in it and the other one looked like it would have fit there but it was a 4 prong pigtail with 3 wires going to it. I can't imagine them building this car with the need of an adapter so it probably isn't the one. Completely stumped as the 2 wire pigtal should be right there.