jeep front end shaking, checked all rods, etc seem tight, think the steering box is gone bad.

110

Asked by Aug 14, 2013 at 09:13 PM about the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

When I hit rough roads or have to stop quick at high speeds the front tires vibrate bad until
I reach a slower speed. checked tie rods and all seem tight. think the steering box is gone
bad. some fluid on top.

505

You should probably check your front brake rotors sounds to me that they may be warped.If you have wared rotors on the front your vehicle will shake real bad when applying the brakes,real bad trying to stop coming off 55 mph.Take your vehicle to your mechanic and have him or her to measure the front rotors.I think that is your problem.GOOD LUCK!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/death-wobble-cured-124861/

110

Judge. Rotors do have hot spots on them . wouldn't think this would cause vibration & shaking even when I don't hit brakes on rough road?

110

Sorry judge. This last post was to bigc52

445

Although brakes and suspension play a big part you should have your tiring balancing checked and or replace the tires depending on their condition. good luck.

445

sorry meant tires. lol

445

one last thing, you mention the shaking on the rough roads, well your struts can play a big part in this as well. I had this similiar problem with my Jeep GC. I did change my rotors as they were warped and the tie rod ends as well as they were due to be changed anyway but I change the springs as well. The springs really help to stabalize the front end along with the other new parts. This fixed my prob.

a dampener is a part that the AMC gremlin refused to install...and made with the death wobble every time you crossed the railroad tracks...would RIP the steering wheel out of your hands...it was awful...if they'd just installed a steering dampener none of this would have happened~

steering dampener may fix your troubles~

a malfunctioning TCS or ABS would fry your rotors 'till blue~

505

too alwaysfaithfull,So you have never felt a warped rotor?They shake the steering wheel REAL BAD!!!!Hot spots will affect braking also.THANKS!!

110

Yes bigc52. Agree on braking but how about when you dont apply brakes and it shakes bad only on rough road conditions?

505

You are right,I guess I didnt read the help question very good.MY BAD!!

110

Hey all car people, it was simply my steering stabilizer. Replaced it all is good, no more death wobble. Jeff

alwaysfaitful....steering stabilizer and dampener are the same goodie~ btw~

it' alright...got plenty of points...want some?....here~!

My 98 grand cherokee does the shudder while breaking , but it's at slow speed breaking. I haven't had it checked yet but I am pretty sure it's a warped roter not sure about the pads but I think changing the front roters and pads will fix the problem. J.D.

70

replace your steering stabilizer happened to me,I did the rotors,balanced the tires then changed stabilizer looked fine,but lost the fluid in it cost about 50 dollars for part

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

Rudyscip would the tyre pressure of the front affect the shaking? ? When I increased my tyre pressure of the front wheels the shaking increased dramatically. Please help this problem is deadly.