2004 jeep grand cherokee problems after losing the serpentine belt and idler tensioner pulley

Asked by Oct 26, 2014 at 09:47 PM about the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

So last weekend, I was driving home and a heard a clunk under the hood. thought
maybe I ran over something. Turning the car was almost impossible. within 2 minutes
my car over heated and things went down hill from there.  Since then, I have replaced
my radiator, radiator cap, thermostat, water pump, idler tensioner, serpentine belt.  
NOW it won't stay running.  I have to keep the  throttle floored and then it will start.
She don't like it but the minute you take your foot off the gas peddle, she dies again.
What do I need to do next?   Can you give me your advise. I'm desperate to get it
back on the road! Please help!!!!

7,895

do you have a strong spark at the plugs is your engine timed right

Yes the spark plugs were changed earlier this year. So I think everything else is okay. My hubby thought we needed to change the fuel filter. We tried removing and replacing. But for some reason....it's decided it wants to stay with the car. Literally. It has the quick disconnect but it won't release. Any other suggestions to help me with that?

As far as the timing goes.....I don't have a clue. I've been reading the manual and other online help sites and they say to check the TPS. Do you think that could be the critter that's causing me so much grief?

19,590

Check your throttle position sensor and throttle plate (butterfly). The plate can get dirty and won't shut all the way. Take off the air tube between the air filter box and the intake. Clean the plate with carb cleaner.

7,895

tps stands for throttle posisiton sensor so yah check that

Do you think it may be the fuel filter? I will check the TPS also. right now and let you know. thanks!

19,590

It could be the fuel filter but if it runs probably not. You could also check the fuel pressure regulator as well.

96,835

Look around the engine compartment for anything the flying belt may have damaged, possibly some wiring ripped loose or a unmetered air leak.

19,590

Good call tennisshoes!

Just had a similar problem this w/e, except it was due to dead battery after leaving lights on. Battery went dead when doors were locked. Did a lock unlock with cables connected. (Canceled security system from not letting truck run) Jump started fired, but died when I took foot off gas. So, I disconnected my negative battery cable for a few minutes. When you hooked it back up, the on board computer reset (TPS aforementioned included). '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee now keeps running and idling by itself. I'm not a mechanic, read it on another sight and it worked!