Yesterday the electrical went out temporarily in my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The windows, radio, air onditioning, and the console that shows outside temp., direction, etc. went out. I stop somewhere, and when I atarted the car again it all came back on and stayed on. Today everything works except the air conditioner. The light on the button doesn't come on and the air doesn't cool but the fan comes on. Could a bad switch on the dash have triggered the power failure? How do I check the switch on the dash?

10

Asked by Mar 28, 2013 at 09:08 PM about the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

I'd start with your battery. Hose off the corrosion from the top of the battery, with some protective gloves on pull off the battery terminals and wire brush each one, wirebrush the little extra looper on the plus side, follow the black wire to the end of where it attaches to the chassis, and wirebrush that attachment point clean, also the cable going from the ground post to the engine block....all these things good connection and free of any corrosion, then we can check the state of your switches with good solid 12v available~

93,825

It sounds like a wire that carries power from the engine compartment to the dash has a loose connection. It could also be a bad common ground.

you know these have to pull at least 300 cold cranking amps so we need plenty of good contact area, the one to the blower is a connection at the chassis ground dash as well, it will all be okay~

3,080

Sounds like a insufficient ground is my first guess. The clutch on the a.c. is a big electro magnet that requires a lot of flow. Clean battery and connections.

10

Thanks. Everything was working today, and I hadn't done a thing. I'll clean the battery terminals and hope power doesn't go out again. Weather here is in the 90's and hotter all summer, and it would be really bad to be caught in the car with the windows up and no air conditioning.