After how many miles does a Jeep Grand Cherokee need it's transmission replaced?

Asked by Dec 17, 2010 at 09:51 AM about the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

I'm looking at buying a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 103,000 miles on it. And I was wondering if I would need to replace the transmission any time soon.

45

you should still be good for at least another hundred thousand miles, unless it gets abused.

1,335

no one really knows it all depends on how used and abused it was. a well taken care of 42re (comes with the i6) will go forever. or a 545rfe (comes with the v8) is damn near bulletproof when taken care of, but again like any vehicle will not stand up long after being abused.

335

there isn't a single transmission in the world that isn't capable of of reaching 200k if properly maintained and driven under normal conditions keep the fluid changed on its schedule maintainence if you live in a hot climate like me (phoenix) add a transmission cooler I've seen some figures that go out and say that a transmission running at 180 degrees will last a lifetime a transmission running at 220 degrees will last 50k (courtesy of UTI) also water is a transmissions worst enemy (the clutches are made of a paper like material) so if your radiator cracks internally and leaks into the transmission cooler (sometimes stock vehicles will come with a cooler in the radiator for the tranny) then this is bad the tranny is screwed if you drive into a river the transmission is vented to the atmosphere via a vent tube if you get water down it the tranny is also screwed If the transmission fluid is very dark brown or black forget it the clutches are already burned and it is one theory that changing the fluid at this point may cause the transmission to fail faster and there is a ton of truth behind this actually if you bring a transmission to a shop with black fluid in it unless your rebuilding it they usually will not service it.

20

The Lucas transmission stop slip $8.00 works like magic in Jeep Cherokee transmissions if slipping. Just add it on top of existing fluid , you should have noticeable improvement in 10 mins of driving. The Lucus oil stabilizer didn't seem to do anything.

2,935

Change you tranny fluid and filter every year and it should last a very long time.

50

Mine had to be rebuilt at 135,000. I had never towed anything and transmission was serviced properly. I have been driving more than 50 years and I have spent more on repairs on this vehicle than all the vehicles I have owned combined.I hope Jeep has made improvements as I just purchased a new one.....love the Jeep...but not the repairs.

8,425

With the new transmissions, there is an additional variable when it comes to durability, and that is the computer control. Keep in mind, these newer transmissions are semi-intelligent, in that they learn how you drive, and shift accordingly, no matter what you are asking for right now. I hate that! The other thing is that the computer can fail, and cause some fairly spectacular transmission woes. Happened to my Sister-in-Law's 92 Taurus. Coming off the highway, the computer decided that the transmission needed both reverse and 1st gear. With a horrible racket, the car ground to a halt, never to run again until a new transmission was installed. You can't predict failures of that sort. Mechanically, with good maintenance, though, you should be good for a minimum of 200,000 miles, and I would hope more. I know of one Ford mechanical AOD that is over the million mile mark without anything but routine service.

20

My 2004 currently is at 156,000 and going strong.

130

I'm considering buying a 2002 jeep grand Laredo with 197000 miles am I crazy? My mechanic friend has serviced it for 9 years says it will go another 100000 easy....should I do it?

20

My 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited has around 144,000 miles and going strong. I bought it as a lease return with 32,000 on it. There was a point around 90,000 where the transmission was slipping. I took it to the dealer and they told me it needed a new transmission. I kept driving it that way for over a year thinking they must know that they are talking about. I later took it to Ammaco transmissions and they said the transmission belt just needed to be serviced and tightened. After they did that, the transmission has never slipped again. They saved me $3,500 transmission replacement and even then it would have been a used transmission with very little warranty. Pays to get second opinions...even dealers are wrong and they don't specialize in transmissions. This is my third Jeep (had a 1990 Wrangler, 1989 Cherokee Limited and 1998 Grand Cherokee and they require maintenance, but the engines and transmissions have all been strong. I am going to look at another one tomorrow that I'm thinking of buying to upgrade to a bit newer used Jeep. They are fun to drive!

60

I have a 2002 grand cherokee and the transmission was rebuild by the dealer at 170k miles right now my car had 250k miles and transmission is starting to slip, no light on the dashboard, however last week I was driving to the supermarket 7 miles aaway, then driving back home 3 blocks before I reach home the transmission stopped working, I kept pushing the accelerator but the transmission was not responding. 30 to 40 minutes later the engine started working again. A mechanic is telling me to replace it and put a used transmission. any suggestion if I should use a transmission stabilizer

With a used transmission, hopefully with a warranty. You really should be good. Make sure everything works with your computer in the vehicle. If you think you want to take special precautions read up on Lucas products. They make a transmission conditioner type fuild that is excellent. Also the oil stabilizer. It can be used for your oil, differential and transmission. That's just my take on the idea of what u are asking. I am not a mechanic. I do work for a auto parts store and have years of experience. I know products and what they can do. With Lucas you can not go wrong.

40

My 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lorado 4x4, has 239,340 miles on it. It has been taken care of for years. Gotten oils and fluids changed when needed. And ever other oil change I would have tires rotated. But now my husband thinks the transmission is going out on it. It will run, but cannot drive it. Any suggestions?

20

Most Jeep owners spend more time in the shop than in the mountains or snow. Chrysler has the worst quality of any major car manufacturer

My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee has 205,000 miles on it and the transmission is still good. I change oil and filter every 50,000 miles and add a quart of Lucas. Though I've never towed, I am about to take a long trip pulling a 4,000 # travel trailer. I'll let you know what happens. Compared to the cost of a new vehicle, having a transmission rebuilt by Armco isn't such a bad thought. The 4X4 gearbox and differentials are other considerations. If you are pretty mechanically inclined you can rebuild them yourself, especially with online assistance. It is all a matter of time and talent versus money.

Ok, maybe not Aamco...

60,975

Find a first rate shop. Check around there are good ones but they are few and far between.